My son's new pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurencallen74

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I didn't know what to do with my son's (he's 5) 10 gallon.

And then I met this guy.

He's an axolotl. He looks like this. And he's adorable. More pics to follow.

image-3109177817.jpg

Creepy, it looks like a little person, can you.fed it past midnight?lol. What exactly is it and where do you find it?

It's an axolotl. I met a breeder at a good Mom and Pop pet store. They are not meant to be with fish, unless to eat them.

He's a Salamander and so interesting. Google axolotl.org

I was told they generally work best alone. They breed quickly, and can become territorial.

OMG, that is the spookiest critter I've ever seen...... yet somehow adorable at the same time.

Just read up on their housing. Regular gravel can kill them? No thanks, I'll stick with fish..... I'd be too afraid of doing something wrong given their need for a very particular habitat. Good luck!

The breeder informed me that their care is easier than on the site and that gravel should not be used due to possible impaction. I have sand substrate and large flat river rocks in the corners. Another breeder agreed the care is straightforward, and that my son will enjoy feeding him.
:)

For the record, I can't use regular aquarium gravel anyway because my Fancies have gotten it stuck in their hungry mouths in the past!

Axolotls are the CUTEST little guys. I've been wanting to get one for a while now, but unfortunately I've got no room. 3 aquariums and 2 vivariums in my room doesn't leave me with any other options haha.

Morgie, I am with you! This guy is flying solo in a 10 gallon just for him. I was going to put in little tetras, but the breeder for axi's was on site and I couldn't resist. To a 5 year old boy, it doesn't get much cooler! Or for his Mom!!! ;)

I was researching them and apparently they get up to a foot long and need at least a 40 gallon tank of their own.

ashleynicole said:
Creepy, it looks like a little person, can you.fed it past midnight?lol. What exactly is it and where do you find it?

Lmao! It's so ugly it's cute! Never seen anything like it though, pretty cool! :)

ashleynicole said:
I was researching them and apparently they get up to a foot long and need at least a 40 gallon tank of their own.

WOW! A foot long I'd be afraid when I was cleaning out the tank it would chew my hand off! Jk! Please tell me it doesn't have teeth?? Lol!

It has kind of gummy nubs for teeth. They can only gum you! Lol! But, they learn to take food from your hand. I plan on moving him into a bigger tank once he gets to around 5-6". I'd never get anything that would bite me! Or my son for that matter, so we're kind of excited to see how he likes his environment.

Laurencallen74 said:
It has kind of gummy nubs for teeth. They can only gum you! Lol! But, they learn to take food from your hand. I plan on moving him into a bigger tank once he gets to around 5-6". I'd never get anything that would bite me! Or my son for that matter, so we're kind of excited to see how he likes his environment.

Good luck! I hope my 10 yr old don't see this or she's going to want one! Lol! I can hear her now..............awwwwww! Mom he's so CUTE can we get one? PLEASE?? :)

I know! Problem is...I love animals, fish...you get the picture. My husband thinks I'm mad, but I feel if you teach your child to be compassionate of animals and people alike, they become more empathetic adults. Having these fish, and my new addition, create a beautiful source of entertainment and provide me with a hobby I'm proud of. I'm still learning, but I'm taking small steps to make sure what I have is happy and healthy! This little axolotl is so **** adorable! As for your daughter.... She'll want one for sure!!! ;)

Laurencallen74 said:
I know! Problem is...I love animals, fish...you get the picture. My husband thinks I'm mad, but I feel if you teach your child to be compassionate of animals and people alike, they become more empathetic adults. Having these fish, and my new addition, create a beautiful source of entertainment and provide me with a hobby I'm proud of. I'm still learning, but I'm taking small steps to make sure what I have is happy and healthy! This little axolotl is so **** adorable! As for your daughter.... She'll want one for sure!!! ;)

Yes I most definitely agree! raising different types of animals & fish and taking care and nurturing them with your children makes them more empathetic. My daughter was chosen from a large group of children at her school to work with special needs children in her age group because she shows more compassion and empathy than other children her age. Which I think is WONDERFUL and makes me so proud of her and makes me feel that hopefully I'm doing something right as a parent! She's a very loving and caring child and I know it's because of what I've taught her and having all our animals and fish that she just loves SO much, she really enjoys helping me take care of them! I'll get off my soap box, sorry!! :)

Yes I most definitely agree! raising different types of animals & fish and taking care and nurturing them with your children makes them more empathetic. My daughter was chosen from a large group of children at her school to work with special needs children in her age group because she shows more compassion and empathy than other children her age. Which I think is WONDERFUL and makes me so proud of her and makes me feel that hopefully I'm doing something right as a parent! She's a very loving and caring child and I know it's because of what I've taught her and having all our animals and fish that she just loves SO much, she really enjoys helping me take care of them! I'll get off my soap box, sorry!! :)

I agree completely. I have a 2 year old son and a 4 year old daughter, and they love helping take care of our animals which include the aquarium, a corn snake, a hamster, and two cats. For Christmas they are each getting 5 gallon tanks in their rooms for their bettas. I think it also helps teach them responsibility. :D

Back
Top Bottom