My Tank Advice Thread !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
most of the time, clown loaches don't get over 6 inches in an aquarium setup. but as far as full length go, most people don't know. Some say they've had them for upwards of a decade and have never even gotten them to reach sexual maturity because they grow so slow.

If they grow that slow then shouldn't that mean I could keep the loaches for a while until I upgraded to a new bigger better tank ?

I personally have never had them, so I will leave that up to someone who has more experience to answer. But personally, I believe that as long as your water and your fish are healthy, that there is no exact science to doing things. All people have different experiences and ways of doing things that may or may not work for others. For example, some people say cichlids need to be kept in small numbers because of aggression, but then others keep the tank packed full to avoid aggression because they have less territory to control. Its all about doing something that works for you.

Its all about doing something that works for you.

I agree with you there.

With that said, my personal fish guru has three 12 year old cl that are close to a foot each and show no sign of stopping.

The trouble with keeping fish that will grow large in small tanks while they are small is the issue of stunting, which shortens the fish's life and can cause physical anomolies and cause other fish in the tank to stunt as well.

Its just bad news all around and should be avoided IMO. Especially when new to the hobby.

I agree with you there.

With that said, my personal fish guru has three 12 year old cl that are close to a foot each and show no sign of stopping.

The trouble with keeping fish that will grow large in small tanks while they are small is the issue of stunting, which shortens the fish's life and can cause physical anomolies and cause other fish in the tank to stunt as well.

Its just bad news all around and should be avoided IMO. Especially when new to the hobby.

Good info, I think he was speaking about short term. You never want to keep something housed in a non appropriate setting. Its small enough for them in there as it is. I know I wouldn't want to live in a closet. I'm 6'4 and claustrophobic. lol Point is, I don't think it's an immediate problem, so much to the point that he needs to get rid of the fish. Just needs to make plans for re-housing.

Thanks for the advice guys yeah I don't want to do anything wrong by them but on the other hand I want to keep them until I can get a bigger tank which I think I want to upgrade to the aqua one 850 tank or even the next size up sometime in the next 6 months to a year.

Hi! You mentioned your water paramaters were "fine" and the lady at the lfs said to add salt to help with "ammonia levels." This concerns me a bit as it sounds like your tank may not be cycled? Ammonia is toxic to fish so it's very important to do daily water changes (more than once if need be) to keep ammonia below 0.25 ppm. Here's a link that should help: "I just learned about cycling but I already have fish...What do I do now?"

Hi! You mentioned your water paramaters were "fine" and the lady at the lfs said to add salt to help with "ammonia levels." This concerns me a bit as it sounds like your tank may not be cycled? Ammonia is toxic to fish so it's very important to do daily water changes (more than once if need be) to keep ammonia below 0.25 ppm. Here's a link that should help: "I just learned about cycling but I already have fish...What do I do now?"

Hi there ! i havnt had any problems with ammonia yet * Touch wood * ocassionally it will be just off the yellow colour it should be making it not even close to 0.25 ammonia levels. Is that enough reason to do a water change though ?

Help !

Ok so i done my weekly water change today and then tested my water i have noticed that my nitrates are sitting on 10 - 20 ppm and my ammonia level is sitting on about 0.175. I have been having the ammonia been a little higher then 0 for the last couple weeks but i have just been changing the water to control it. However iv never ever had nitrates show up in my tests so im a little concerned now as the levels have taken off in the last week. Can anyone give me some advice ?

Back
Top Bottom