My tank is losing water slowly!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaboi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could my tank be leaking or does wAter evaperate in tanks??

Water evaporates out of tanks. My ten gallon loses about an inch of water a week due to evaporation. I would still ckeck for a leak though just to be sure.

Evaporation happens. In my 36, I loose a half to a full gallon a day depending on if the furnace is running or not.

To replace this water, just add distilled or RO water. SALT DOES NOT EVEPORATE. Adding more saltwater will increase your salinity and eventually kill your critters. Only replace with saltwater when doing water changes.

you'd see salt marks around the silicone and stand if there was a leak, mostlikely its evaporating. i have to top up about 1/2" of water every 3 days in my 26gallon. the more surface area, air movement and water movement, along with a higher temps causes water to evaporate at different rates, but you need surface agitation and temps around 76-80 degrees so its really just a matter of topping up or getting cover which non of us would recommend

Ohh glad to hear that thanks guys appreciate the help will check for a leak also to be sure

Back
Top Bottom