My tank just cycled, What Next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JVS__RAMBO

Aquarium Advice Regular
My ammonia is at 0 and Nitrites are also 0 and Nitrates are between 5 and 10 ppm. So what next, I have shrimp that I used to cycle my tank do I leave those in( also used live rock and sand) or should I take them out(shrimp), and my next step would be the cleanup crew right.

Yea take out the shrimp. and IMO i would get a fish or to first before the cuc because the crew needs something to clean up first so i would get some fish first then add a cuc a few days later this is what i did

I agree with taking out the shrimp. I would do a 33% PWC to dilute excessive nutrients in the tank and then you should be OK to add fish slowly. Just one fish at a time so your bioload can keep up.

When I do a water change do I have to have the saltwater already made up ahead of time or can I do it on the fly since I have no fish or anything in the tank, and I was planning on two ocellerris clowns is that alright?

Yes you`ll need to have it already made up. Never add dry salt to your tank for any reason. I guess that`s what you were asking. Just mix up some SW and let it set for a day and then replace. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

You really dont need it. Your livestock will be taking over providing the ammonia source now that you have some nitrifying bacteria.

Thanks, gonna look at getting a hardy fish just in case it decides to spike up on me. Thanks for the help again melosu58.

Back
Top Bottom