My tank now and can anyone ID this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkroc701

Aquarium Advice Activist
So This is my tank at 12 days (I added water and a thermometer after this picture). It is a 5 Gal. tank and looking to set it up as a reef tank. I have a few people who are helping me figure out how to go about setting this up. I have decided 2 snails and a shrimp, no fish yet.

Also I have had a small Glass Anemone groth in my tank and after clearing it up something else began to grow and I have added a picture of it in hopes someone can help ID it so I know weather to get rid of it or let it grow. As always thanks for the help.

if that looks like blades of grass.. (and I think that is what you are talking about).. then it would be a type of macroalgae... I had that... and my emerald crab took care of it in a couple of days... and I had a lot by the time I got him in there.... mine grew SUPER fast... 1st day there were 2 blades of it... 2nd day there were 6... 3rd day there were 12 or so...

So is that bad and yes it is growing fast. I am not ready to add anything to my tank yet, I am getting my brown algea (can't remeber the name of it) my amonea is 0 my nitrites are still high, I will do my water change and test again Friday or Saterday. Thanks for the help.

you don't need lights on during cycling... try keeping them off.. will probably slow it down...:)

diatoms will come with any new tank, it will come and go. it looks like rust?

Mitchel and Ix,

Thanks for the input and yeah it is diatoms I just forgot what it was called.

Thincat,

Thanks for the link again I lost it from the first time you sent it.

As always thanks everyone for the help and input.

Ok looks like I may have Hair Algea. Will a CUC help clean this up as it is starting to spread a little. I am down to turning my light out to hopefully slow the growth down. I read a tang might eat it, but I am not ready for a fish in there much less a fish that size in a 5 gallon. Any suggestions?

Mitch,

I thought about that but how safe are they with snails and since I will eventually be moving this to a larger tank how are they with coral, fish and shrimp? I looked them up once and believe it said they are safe as long as they are small but the larger they get to keep an eye on them. Is this right?

I've never had an emerald so I'm not sure but you could always remove him later. Misskeeter who has a biocube has a Emerald and apparently her Emerald decimated her hair algae. They are definately reef safe when smaller though. If I could get a few I definately would. :)

I tested my water and did my first water change last week and every thing looked as if my levels are dropping so depending on what it tests at this week I am looking to add a CUC. My LFS wants to do a test on the water aswell so I am not adding stuff to soon. I will have to do a crab with my snails and maybe a shrimp too. Don't want to put to much in there do to the small size and the fact I will be moving them soon anyway. Thanks Mitch.

Cool. Thanks. I need to keep better track by writing those down. I have a "tank diary" from when I started building my original tank that failed its leak test BAD, but haven't added the reading so far. I know my amonea is 0 my nitrites are 0 and I can't remeber what my nitrates were. This was of course before my water change (1/2 gallon for a 5 gallon tank). Salinity was about 30 (middle of the red area on the gage). I will test again tomorrow and post them here. to see what you guys say.

Asalways thanks.

Back
Top Bottom