My tank today , before and after

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good!

Thank you!! Your tanks are beautiful !!!! I want discus but I'm worried I don't know enough yet and my water is super high ph, and I'm no where near experienced with water chemistry enough to try to play chemist yet lol . But I have noticed that the more I spend on a fish, the more healthy they come and the longer they last. :) but I still am a little gun shy. Haha but thanks for the compliment and I hope I get good enough to keep discus one day !

Thank you for you complements, I hate to say it but I spent alot of Discus but from my understanding playing chemist is the best way unless trying to breed because of the fact the ph could rise of fall to fast and kill them. I heard it is better to just get a breeder that has similiar water qualities and feed them what he/she does etc. I bought my last batch from from a guy who buys discus hans mated pairs and sells the offspring for CHEAP. I can get you his info, if you want sometime. He charged me I think 14-17$ a piece with a 70$ shipping charge. It was an very good price since I got so many it all equalled out to like 23$ a piece. Sadly, like I previously stated, I learned how to keep them buy losing so many to so many different things like ICH before I started keeping them in very warm temperature tanks, several to waterchanges with to much water, some to eating too much and getting swimmers bladder etc, and I think some to my PPM being to high killing them. SO if you have any questions, ask away because I rather some one learn from my mistakes because it did cost me a fortune :(

Thank you for you complements, I hate to say it but I spent alot of Discus but from my understanding playing chemist is the best way unless trying to breed because of the fact the ph could rise of fall to fast and kill them. I heard it is better to just get a breeder that has similiar water qualities and feed them what he/she does etc. I bought my last batch from from a guy who buys discus hans mated pairs and sells the offspring for CHEAP. I can get you his info, if you want sometime. He charged me I think 14-17$ a piece with a 70$ shipping charge. It was an very good price since I got so many it all equalled out to like 23$ a piece. Sadly, like I previously stated, I learned how to keep them buy losing so many to so many different things like ICH before I started keeping them in very warm temperature tanks, several to waterchanges with to much water, some to eating too much and getting swimmers bladder etc, and I think some to my PPM being to high killing them. SO if you have any questions, ask away because I rather some one learn from my mistakes because it did cost me a fortune :(

Thanks for all that info and offered help I will for sure keep you in mind if I ever choose to take that leap to discus. My wife already wants to choke me because of the time and money I spend on these tanks and fish lol. It will be a while I'm sure, she told me no more tanks already after I set up the ten. :) But that is a great deal on the discus you got! I'm already scheming on how I can talk the wife into a new bigger tank!! Muhahaha(evil laugh)!!!!

Awesome, you sound just like me and looking back though:facepalm: I would have not done quantity but quality. I would trade in my 125 for an ADA rimless etc and all the other tanks forcusing on one or 2 AWESOME tanks. Less=More in my oppinion now...less money, less maintenance, more smiles :cool:

Awesome, you sound just like me and looking back though:facepalm: I would have not done quantity but quality. I would trade in my 125 for an ADA rimless etc and all the other tanks forcusing on one or 2 AWESOME tanks. Less=More in my oppinion now...less money, less maintenance, more smiles :cool:

....^^^ agreed! Lol and that's some great inspiration !!
I would love a ADA!! I was thinking about taking the rim off my ten and I still may but I need to save some money for a new filter, Lilly tubes and lighting. If I'm going to do it I want to do it right. I'm still learning too so I want to have it down to a science and then ill spend the serious money it will take to keep a tank like that.
Haha I want to do everything ! I guess I should decide what I want to do first lol.

And here is the new red on my 36 with 10k lamps!!!!! Loving it!!!!

image-1607021435.jpg

And here is my 29!! New reds here too!!

image-792321363.jpg

The first pic is from my ten :) dhg and A reineckii is still trying to get a foot hold but so far so good :)! Happy happy!!!! Lol

Getting a handle on water chemistry isn't as bad as it sounds. For good color you need to try keeping your nitrates at 10ppm and up phosphates to 1-2ppm. What ferts are you dosing? Also are you using liquid carbon or CO2?

Getting a handle on water chemistry isn't as bad as it sounds. For good color you need to try keeping your nitrates at 10ppm and up phosphates to 1-2ppm. What ferts are you dosing? Also are you using liquid carbon or CO2?

I'm using both liquid carbon and DIY c02. For ferts I'm using root tabs and API leaf zone. I'm not doubting my handle on water chemistry other then with ph. I have high ph and would like it lower but from all the research I have done a stable high ph is better then a lower one that fluctuates. But everything's growing and looking good so far. IMO

As long as you stay away from certain soft water loving plants (which are pretty limited) the ph isn't bad. I don't even check my ph but keep track of Kh and Gh. As long as both are at least 4 plants do fine. But if you ever do decide to lower your ph using RO it's not hard at all as long as your consistent on using the same ratio of RO to tap there's nothing to it. I've done that in one of my 55's for a couple years and it stays as constant as can be.

Cool, thanks for the info I really don't plan on messing with it unless I get some discus or other touchy fish. And to be completely honest.... As of right now I'm kinda more into the plants then the fish lol. I love my fish too but the plants inspire and excite me a little more. I have a lot to learn still but I think I've come a long way in a short time and I'm looking forward to the road ahead. :)

I've been hooked on plants since my dad kept them in the 50's and 60's and in most of the tanks we have set up the plants are the main focus. Your plants look healthy so what your doing is working. Down the road as the tank matures you may have to add a broader macro/micro fert along with using Leaf Zone but that would be about it.

I've been hooked on plants since my dad kept them in the 50's and 60's and in most of the tanks we have set up the plants are the main focus. Your plants look healthy so what your doing is working. Down the road as the tank matures you may have to add a broader macro/micro fert along with using Leaf Zone but that would be about it.

That's what I'm hoping happens with my little girl. She is already super into it lol she asks if she can help with the water changes and testing almost every time I mess with them lol she is also my main fish namer. :)
I have been looking into dry ferts with macro/micro capability. Any suggestions ? I just haven't got around to it just yet. I know it will be way cheaper in the long run as well.

Way cheap is an understatement. I use this... PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums but order a 3rd dosing bottle so you can mix you nitrates separate from your phosphate and potassium for better dosing. The 3rd bottle is for the micros.

Here's a good article about PPS-Pro dosing. Only read the opening post not all the after comments... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central. The only thing on this is the macro mix, which I split in 2 for more precise custom dosing calls for using MgSO4, magnesium, which you won't need since you have hard water.

The initial output cost is more but these ferts will last for years.

As for using liquid carbon if you buy Metricide 14 day solution it is tons cheaper. Buy a gallon bottle for approx. $20, mix at a 1:1 ratio with RO or distillwater (I kept old excel bottles and mix and fill as needed) and in the end you get 2 gallons of Glut for $27ish which includes shipping. If you use this throw away the activator bottle that comes with the Glut. This gives you a 1.8% of Glut compared to Excel which is 1.5%.

Back
Top Bottom