my tap water has gone crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barakis

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys

tank perameters where nitrate 40 ph 8.2

did a 25% pwc, perameters are now nitrate 40 ph7.4

tested tap water, perameters nitrates 45 ph 7.2

my tap water has always been high in nitrate, but ph has always stayed steady at 8.2, i have no idea why the random drop.

any ideas how i deal with this? i need to sort ph and nitrate and from memory not easy.

aqua_chem said:
Change in weather lately? Nearby farmland?

Our water comes from miles away but their is farm land for miles round here, mainly rapeseed crops.

The wether has been a bit crazy sun/rain the last couple weeks, but nothing we havnt had since I've had the fish, water has always been steady PH.

Every time i used my tap water, i first take a couple of empty spring water bottle and fill it with tap water, put it aside for a day or two so the chlorine and everything that is in there goes away, maybe you need to do that perhaps? fill the tap water in a buckle, put it aside then fill in the tank :huh: You could try this and then test it :blink:

Aniistarr said:
Every time i used my tap water, i first take a couple of empty spring water bottle and fill it with tap water, put it aside for a day or two so the chlorine and everything that is in there goes away, maybe you need to do that perhaps? fill the tap water in a buckle, put it aside then fill in the tank :huh: You could try this and then test it :blink:

Be careful with that. Most US water treatment plants have switched to chloramine because it won't evaporate like that. I don't know how it is in the UK though.

Be careful with that. Most US water treatment plants have switched to chloramine because it won't evaporate like that. I don't know how it is in the UK though.

i am from New York. Anyways besides using the bottle for tap water i also have water conditioner in powder so every time i change the water i always put a little bit of that on my fish tank. :fish2:

Our water comes from miles away but their is farm land for miles round here, mainly rapeseed crops.

The wether has been a bit crazy sun/rain the last couple weeks, but nothing we havnt had since I've had the fish, water has always been steady PH.

just thought i'd check in, been offline for quite a while...

water hasn't settled down yet, and the LFS near me uses the same water but theirs hasnt changed, very strange indeed. i have a supliment i use for the PH now anyway s no worries.

Of the water is contaminated by run off from farms, it could be extremely high in nitrites and nitrates due to fertilizer.

malfist said:
Of the water is contaminated by run off from farms, it could be extremely high in nitrites and nitrates due to fertilizer.

I already test for everything else, the rest of the levels are fine was just ph that changed.

Maybe one of your local service lines is leaking, pulling stuff in from the ground?

Back
Top Bottom