My ten gallon low light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you will be disappointed... I ordered some rotala from Sweet Aquatics, expecting 4-5 stems per bunch, and this is what came today. Some of the bunches have 20 stems! I don't know where I am going to put it. There is seriously enough to carpet 55+ gallons if you plant the stems separately. But the quality is top notch
Anne

Nice looking Rotala!

oh my! awesome plants you got there anne.

I can't wait to get mine too. I ordered more last monday so I don't know if that order was combined with my old order last week. If it did, I will be ecstatic. wooohooo!

1-2 days more nick!

WTF. I was all pumped to come back to my apartment and see a package in front of my mailbox, AND THEY PUT A SLIP IN THAT SAYS, "SORRY WE MISSED YOU!" I put specific instructions to leave the box in front of my mailbox. What the heck is up with this? Now tomorrow morning I have to go pick up my plants. This is some BS.

My exact instructions: "Just leave in front of the row of mailboxes."

There must be insurance on the package. I know most shippers won't leave the package if there's insurance on it.

There must be insurance on the package. I know most shippers won't leave the package if there's insurance on it.

Most likely, but I've never had perishable items (boxes with the perishable sticker) sent back when I wasn't around. Oh well...I'll just get them tomorrow. Was just bummed because I was looking forward to playing around with the scape tonight.

I'd get them out of the box asap when you do get them. Plants won't last more than 3 days in the dark...

I'd get them out of the box asap when you do get them. Plants won't last more than 3 days in the dark...

they shipped Tuesday so I hope it's not pushing it. Yeah I am going to the post office as soon as it opens tomorrow. I have class at 10:50AM, and the post office opens at 9AM. I may not have time to plant them. If I don't, should I throw them in a bucket of tank water or just lay them out on the counter over a paper towel?

Last edited by a moderator:
bucket of tank water is your best bet...At least your plants are probably algae free at this point lol. I'd also try to email sweet aquatics. I've never ever heard of a plant shipping needing someone present for pick up....If the plants are in poor shape it's their fault for shipping in a ludicrous way.

I just received a shipment of plants that have been in transit for over 2 weeks... they were still green and alive when I got 'em. I think they will be fine unless they are frozen.

A bucket of water would be a good idea until you can plant them properly. Don't lay 'em out on the counter... you don't want them to dry out.

Well, that's a relief. Sorry that it took so long for your plants to get there, though.

well worth it. They were imported from thailand via the UK. Good things are worth waiting for though ;)

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much, they'll be okay in this warm weather. Agree with putting them in a bucket of water (personally, when I'm busy like that, I toss them in the tank and let them float - warm water and light until I can plant).

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much, they'll be okay in this warm weather. Agree with putting them in a bucket of water (personally, when I'm busy like that, I toss them in the tank and let them float - warm water and light until I can plant).

Do you turn your filters off?

no. The plants will float if there's no weights on them. I've never had one get sucked into the filter if that's what you're thinking.

no. The plants will float if there's no weights on them. I've never had one get sucked into the filter if that's what you're thinking.

I was thinking more along the lines of them all getting bunched into one corner and the potential for them to be damaged from filter flow without being in the substrate. But I don't have a boat engine for a filter, so I guess I'll be alright. :eek:

Happy Friday everyone.

Went and picked up my plants from the post office after class. Upon opening I was pretty displeased to see a lot of browning on the plants. I trimmed the vals a bit as well as the dwarf sags. Spruced em up a bit and took my time to plant.

I was trying to achieve a right-side-height-heavy look. Since my driftwood angles up, I want the plants to gradually increase in size as they move along it. I put the two vals side by side...left them a little long so that the tops could sway at the water surface. The sags gave me a little bit of trouble. I couldn't decide if I was going to trim them short or leave them as is, but I eventually left as is. I clustered two along the crypts, and put the other four on the right side with the vals. Overall, I am pretty happy with the way it looks. I put a heavy dose of Flourish in after my water change (tank was due for one). Please let me know what you think, I would love your honest criticism. Thanks!

img_1224287_0_3ee5a38a67ff842576a5999dc33e1c3d.jpg

Your tanks looks nice, I'm thinking about starting to plan a planted 55.

Back
Top Bottom