My test kit CAN'T be right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshie In Disguise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought the API freshwater master kit, and I've been using it every other day. I don't trust it.

Nomatter what I do or how I feed, everything is at 0 ppm except pH, which is 8.2

I have followed the instructions in the manual and alternative instructions experts have given me. The results are the same either way. With all the junk in my tank, my nitrates should be through the roof. I can't tell a difference between my tap water and my tank water, using this kit.

I have tons of different filter media, dead plants, LOTS of algaes, and I'm stuffing my fish, trying to get a response. My fish are terribly plump, and my water reads the same. I never vacuum my gravel or clean my decorations, and I only wipe algae off the front wall of my tank. I have snails and shrimp cleaning up 24/7 and they do a great job, but their waste should be doing SOMETHING to the water.

Is my tank really that healthy? I just find that hard to believe. Should I have the LFS test my water to confirm accuracy?

Zero ammonia and nitrites are a good thing.

You really need to shake the stuffing out of the #2 bottle of nitrate juice. It has a powder in there that can clump up. Lay it on it's side for about ten minutes then give it a few whacks on a table and shake it until your arm hurts.

If you are dosing nitrates, you can make a nitrate solution to test your kit. <Or just use any household fert containing nitrates. NB - many contain ammonia, so won't work.>

Make up solution of nitrate of say 100 ppm. If your test don't register, it is toast. <That was how I found out my test was dead.>

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone!

I always beat the carp out of my #2 nitrate bottle, because the kit is new, and I always wait 5 minutes for the results from every test. Still nothing.

My tank does have a few plants, but I don't know if I'd consider it heavily planted. The interesting thing is that the only plants which flourish in my tank are apognetons. Everything else either stays the same size (doesn't grow any bigger) or dies after a couple weeks.

I bought a cheap 1g desk tank from walmart which I am going to overload with natural ammonias at the beginning of its cycle, which will be today (it's just going to be used to house a few wild feeder snails for my fiance's dojos). I will test that water as often as possible to look for a response.

How do I go about making a nitrate solution? I haven't a clue!

How do I go about making a nitrate solution? I haven't a clue!

It depends on what you have to make the solution with ...

If you have pure KNO3, then mix 1/8 tsp in 1 gal of water. That should give you approx 110 ppm solution. Dilute as needed to calibrate a test kit.

If you are using a nitrate containing fert:
Read the label to find the nitrate concentration, or the first number in the NPK rating. Eg - a 10-6-16 fertilizer has 10% nitrogen.

That would be 10 g of N per 100 g of fert. Add 10g of fert to 100 ml of water will give you something like 100 ppm of N. Now, you need to worry about the O in the NO3, and if they use ammonia nitrate there is the ammonia part to consider. But our goal is just to be in the ballpark. The 10g (2 teaspoon) in 100 ml should give you at least 40 or 50 ppm, no matter what the underlying composition. So, you kit should test strongly positive with that mix. <If not, double the concentration & try again ... just in case ... but the kit is likely toast.>

Of course, you can't really calibrate with mixed fert like with the KNO3.

Incidentally, is there an expiry date on the kit? A newly bought kit might be expired & be no good!

Mixed up a nitrate solution as suggested and got a very clear response, LOL. My plants are also not doing particularily well, so I need to find some way to raise the nitrates in the tank. I suppose just more ferts?

If your nitrates are bottoming out, you need more ferts. You can have a higher fish load & feed more -> more poop so more fert. Or you can adjust your fert regime if you are adding ferts.

My tank is always bottoming out nitrates as well (I have lots of fast growers). I use KNO3 ... since you usu. need K as well as N.

Or you can try the EI approach, for a balanced fert regime:
EI light: for those less techy folks - Aquarium Plants

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom