My Toddler figured out how to get to my tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My little man pushes his car over to the tank, climbs it and stands on top, he can then reach right in and grab stuff (like the huge Sunset Hygro he unrooted on me). So, I need a lid that he can't get in, any ideas? are there locking lids available?

TIA

As a mom, and a grandmother of 6 (almost 7), I just pictured a horrendous image of him pulling the tank over on himself....no lid will prevent that. How about some kind of barrier where the car cant be of "assistance"? Or a gate to the room making it off limits unless you are in there with him?

you can attach samm swivel clips to the side of yoru lid or use velcro..the velcro works great but the swil clips are great! there just small forms of the hooks you use on stuff liek gats, they swivel around and the hook goes into the eye hole bolt

Hara said:
As a mom, and a grandmother of 6 (almost 7), I just pictured a horrendous image of him pulling the tank over on himself....no lid will prevent that.
This is exactly what I thought too! 8O

Hara said:
How about some kind of barrier where the car cant be of "assistance"? Or a gate to the room making it off limits unless you are in there with him?
I'd place a few large pillows or beanbag chairs in front of the tank to prevent him from getting his climbing apparatus close to the tank. He can't very well climb up them either.

I've noticed that older toddlers can be reasoned with to some degree. If you tell him that touching the tank frightens the fishies and makes them sad he will probably give that some thought and leave the tank alone.

u2_Crazy said:
My little man pushes his car over to the tank, climbs it and stands on top, he can then reach right in and grab stuff (like the huge Sunset Hygro he unrooted on me). So, I need a lid that he can't get in, any ideas? are there locking lids available?

TIA

We have our tank on a desk in our bedroom, with a couch right next to it. The 2 year old found out he can climb on the couch, stand on the desk and play in the fish tank. After getting caught, and a stern speaking to with some time out and a spankin...we told him the fishes are only to be looked at, and not to touch the glass, as he will scare the fishes and they wont want to let him watch them anymore...He watches now, but does not play in the tank anymore...now we jus gotta keep his younger sister from picking up that habit as she gets older...but we are hoping to either build a table for it, or buy one and move it from beside the couch...

if there is nothing for him to grab onto (ie. the lip has a canopy over it) then he will not be able to pull anything towards him. not to mention that unless it's a particularly small tank, his whole weight wouldn't shift it anyway.

Yeah Id just reason with him try to let him understand that its a no no to touch the tank and that fish are only to watch, when you clean or feed the fish try to let him participate and he will feel like a big boy and more of the "owner" of that tank and not want to lose it or his privileges.

tropicfishman said:
to those offended by the elctric fence comment..I have one thing to say:

HAHAHAHAHA LIGHTEN UP LOL GAH lol

No need for anyone to lighten up. Your burden has been lessened as your ability to post in this thread has been removed.

i would go with the bring in the child to the work, that way hes got time with the aquarium and learns ressponsability. i would also say add a fence around the aquarium, i know it dosnt always work.

First, Jchill & FF, I think you're over reacting to the electric fence comment. It is obviously a joke and I got a slight chuckle out of it, having had the same thought at times.

Second, I'd suggest one of the flat glass lids from All Glass. If you don't attach the handle to the glass, they are very difficult for a toddler to open. I keep a suction cup on the top of the tank so it is easy to stick to the glass and lift the lid open. And just as easy to remove when you don't want the lid opened.

Hope this helps.

You guys do need to lighten up.

As a single father of two kids (6 and 4) the comment didn't bother me at all and I would even go so far as to say proper discipline (proper - not cruel punishment or physical abuse) and being attentive to your child(ren) works wonders.

I had a tank for several years while both went through their toddler stages.

But really, is it necessary for me to "be rude" and seemingly call into question anyone's parenting skills? Not at all. Just as it is unnecessary to overreact to a light hearted jest [even if the comment did nothing to help the discussion progress]. It would have been far easier to simply ignore the offensive comment and therefore, avoid the responses which followed directly related to said comment.

My oldest daughter fed my Discus once, she poured a full bottle of milk in the tank!!

Ok I have an 18-month old and you people are scaring me. I've heard poeple talk about the soap horrors and I don't know what to do. Mine can just barely reach the tank right now and I'm having to try to break him from slapping the tank. I'm just thankful to have a 2ft tall tank on a 3 ft stand. It will be a little while before he can reach the top.

Removing the handle from the versatop is a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom