My turtle magically escaped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaitlinRose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so my turtle (pickle) he's I don't know what species he is but pickle is just over a year old and is a fiesty one. Weed killer got into my pond after it had been raining so i transferred him into a relatively long and large container and filled the water up so he was able to swim but his shell wouldn't be covered for the whole thing. Somehow he has magically decided to exit his container with no water spilt and the container in perfect order all while i was in the next room within a one hour gap (i gave him a pat then an hour later i went to the toilet and couldn't see him within the container) it was 11:30pm and he's just vanished. I've set up some tuna bait and turtle food bait around the room but the door was open to the backyard (I've set up tuna baits, turtle food and various "pretend" ponds to try and catch him but with zero luck. I have no idea what to do/how to look for him. Is their any advice?

Also the only animals in and around the house are cats but they're scared of a bunny so I don't think they'd go for pickle (little butt has bitten me once)

Is Pickle a water turtle like a Red Eared Slider or Soft Shell Turtle, or a land Turtle like a Box Turtle? Snapping Turtle? You might cross check some computer images to verify.

How many inches across his back is he?

If it is a water turtle I would be really concerned. If it is a box turtle maybe less worried, at least immediately.

Land turtles really like to walk around... especially when they are used to having lots of room to roam like around a pond area. If they are wild, they can roam hundreds of feet to even miles a night/day looking for mates or food.

Water turtles like there to be a island of a location for basking and hanging out.

They easily hide under and behind things. Make sure heater vents are closed and any dangerous possible areas are removed or safeguarded until he is found. Get down on the turtles level looking around. They blend into their enviroment quite well. From personal experience they can hide and get stuck in the darndest places.

Those seem to be flatter than the box turtle. So there are many more places he could hide since he can squeeze into smaller areas more easily.

If as you mentioned the back door was opened, it is of course possible he wanted to go back to the pond. Look in laundry and in behind every possible space, even if it seems a little too small.

Starting from the areas where he exited his enclosure, literally be head to the floor and observe what he might see as an escape route or the direction to a new hiding place.

Good luck. Wishing you a successful hunt.

Last edited:
That is good to know. So it will be able to be out of water for a period of time. You can always look for trails outside as in the path the turtle may have scooted away to find it it might have gone outside, crushing the grass, weeds, and or plants!!!

he got out in the house ? check under the refrigerator I've had many escapist in the past turtles , frogs , even newts and freshwater lobsters every time I found them under the refrigerator . it's damp under there and it's warm and they love both also check the bathroom by the toilet .

if a door was left open check by any pool pool filter or close water source puddles ect
also turtles love to bury them selves in mud and under moist leaves

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom