my unexpected 125g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah but they get me on the electric $250+ a month. It's these fish tanks adding $100+ a month probably. Just started using a mh fixture so I only expect it to go up further. At least til I start downsizing on tanks. lol

My water is around $25 but that doesn't include sewer because we are on a septic. It is the electric bill that kills me. $450-500 in mid summer and mid winter. I hate all elect. houses. (should an electrical contractor really be saying such things?)

Lowering the salinity can kill the bacteria living on the live rock. They are used to living in marine conditions. You could take out all the live rock and put it in a container, and then lower the salinity, keeping a close eye on your parameters.

Thank you soo much for that info! Only problem is im defense not comfortable putting my fish in ny 55 and dropping the sg to 1.008... the buffering capacity at that pout is almost nonexistant and the author even says to has ample jakob soda ready to level out the ph....not to mention its gonna take 12 weeks to fully and completely treat it....irk what to do at this point:( I feel like im screws either way... do I leave them and hope the kordons works or do I risk transfering them to a 55 bare bottom hypo tank??

Man, u got a tough one... Idk... They say if ur fish immune system is good, they can fight it off... U may lose the one that started the plague...

I think im gonna use a 10g, about 15 lbs of or out of the display tank, and one of my old marineland powerheads and do a hypo treatment....I hate to say this but id rather lose one fish eager then risk losing all of them....this sucks

Thank you all:) it really helps. I've got too mug time and effort into this to let a stupid thing like ich take out.my fish

I wonder how expensive it is to build that qt setup from tanked...lol
seriously though tough decision id look into how much a larger local used tank is and see if you can get one at a decent price.

I have a 55 sitting empty.... just don't know if I wanna fill it up with 55g worth of new sw ...

i knew you had teh 55, but you have a lot of fish for a 55, i know its short term and all... but if you have the cash to buy a used 90 and sell it in a few weeks, you wouldnt be out too much. The cost of salt will be there yes but remember you're running a pretty low concentration so cost will be quite a bit less than normal as well.

i couldnt imagine spending 30g's on any tank let alone just my qt... it just needs to be a tank nothing fancy

Im thinking of qt'ing just the butterfly for now...and ill watch the oters like a hawk and if they show signs of icy...into the 55 as well

Back
Top Bottom