my water stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's not terrible, but when I put my head over the tank, it stinks. I do two 60 to 70 percent water changes a week. I was wondering if there is any kind of conditioner or anything to use?

I use prime everytime I do a water change. The smell could be the bacteria.. I usually do a 25% -30% water change every week.

Honestly now that I'm thinking about it, it probably is the bacteria trying to regrow because of how much water your taking out every week. Try not taking so much water out do a change once a week of 30 -40%. And you should be using conditioner if your putting in new water.

Honestly now that I'm thinking about it, it probably is the bacteria trying to regrow because of how much water your taking out every week. Try not taking so much water out do a change once a week of 30 -40%. And you should be using conditioner if your putting in new water.

Bacteria isn't in the water, the beneficial bacteria is mainly in the filter media, also the rocks, and substrate. You could do a 90 percent water change and it wouldn't affect the bb. I use prime as well in my water changes.

My stock is almost full in my 70 gallon, and I like to keep my nitrates around our under ten ppm. So I do large water changes often.

My stock is almost full in my 70 gallon, and I like to keep my nitrates around our under ten ppm. So I do large water changes often.

Makes sense. But the only time my water has smelt bad was when I did a huge water change. So that's why I suggested it! Good luck on finding the problem sorry I couldn't be of any help!

Makes sense. But the only time my water has smelt bad was when I did a huge water change. So that's why I suggested it! Good luck on finding the problem sorry I couldn't be of any help!

No problem, thanks for trying.

When you say sink.....what kind of stink are we talking about? Sitting water type of smell or rotten eggs bad? How deep is your sand/gravel in your aquarium?

People always assume it's a bad idea to do a 70 or 80 percent water change. I already have the python in the tank draining water, might as well change a large amount. And I'm very accurate with the temp when filling it back up, can usually get it within .5 degrees. And it's just like a sitting water smell, right now I'm two feet away from the tank, and I actually can't smell it, but when I'm over the tank with the lid open, it smells stale, a little fish like. Its probably normal, I'm just curious if anyone else notices this, and anything that will eliminate this smell

And I know I said a little fish like hah, kind of an obvious statement I suppose

Probably need to vac out the poop.

I have a powerhead pointed towards the bottom so nothing settles, I've vacuumed before just to check and didn't get anything up. I have about two inches of substrate

Try running some carbon in your filter. The smell should go after a few days but if your doing large water changes and the smell keeps returning, it could be another issue. Is it possible there is a dead fish, behind a rock/décor etc. Another cause can be overfeeding. When I use food like frozen brine shrimp, my water can smell a bit. I don't use that food any more....

It's never smelled good, but the hot weather I think makes it noticeable. Like I said unless I'm right over the tank I don't smell it. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I feed them only nls twice a day, I have the fluval 406 and emperor 400, and I change about 150% of water weekly. All fish are there and accounted for.

Use some exel. And or use a carbon filter and there will be no odour.

It's never smelled good, but the hot weather I think makes it noticeable. Like I said unless I'm right over the tank I don't smell it. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I feed them only nls twice a day, I have the fluval 406 and emperor 400, and I change about 150% of water weekly. All fish are there and accounted for.

well you are about 50% over me on the water changes and about the same filtration so Im stumped.

Back
Top Bottom