Mysterious tiny creatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plowboy91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I was cleaning my tank yesterday I noticed that there were groups of very tiny bubbles on my driftwood but upon a closer look they were microorganisms that are swimming around my driftwood and tank. They are about the size of a pin head (or if you would take a pen and make a dot on a piece of paper), are white/clear in color, and seem to have flaggellum which they use for movement (and I think eating as well). I have not added anything new into the tank for over a month so they didn't hitch a ride from a pet store. They usually swim around my driftwood, some shells I have in the tank, and a spot of algae that is on my glass.

What are these little things, are they going to cause me any problems, and how can I get rid of them if they are a problem?

I tried to get some pictures but they are very small and fast so the pics aren't the best. There are no bubbles in the pics, only blurred images of these microbes.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• 503_857.jpg
    503_857.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 0504_193.jpg
    0504_193.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 0506_158.jpg
    0506_158.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 0509_169.jpg
    0509_169.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 61
Looks like planaria to me. Harmless to the fish, usually caused by overfeeding. How often are you feeding?

After talking with someone else they said that planaria are not oval or round, they are more hammer shaped (for the lack of being able to draw) I also sucked a bunch out of my tank when I did a water change and I am feeding much less but they seem to keep reproducing. Do I need to be more patient with this and if it's not planaria, what is it?

Back
Top Bottom