Mystery eggs on aquarium glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykaela15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new here.
A couple days ago a random smile, pea size snail showed up in my aquarium sucking on the algae on the glass... a day or so after some little egg type things showed up on my glass in three separate areas but in a sac type thing with only a few eggs in each. More sacs keep showing up.
I had one rainbow shark and one frog in the aquarium, then the random snail.
Nothing new has been added.

please help.

Last edited:
Snails have the ability to breed once and lay eggs from the breeding in stages. If you don't want snails in your tank then you can just scrape the sacs off the glass and they will be less likely to overtake your tank. It will take a while for you to notice the young snails if you keave the eggs alone.

What do the snails look like? Small black snails are usually pond snails. They come in many shapes sizes and color varieties though most are more attractive than the pond snails. Some have nice colors and are fun to watch while others will mostly stay below the substrate until it is dark then they will move around and glean up algae on walls plants and decorations. If you want to get rid of them many fish wil eat snails, or you could shop for an assassin snail that will eat them.

No, in fact, most of the small, so called pest species are hermaphrodites that don't need a mate at all. But if there's more than one, they will mate, because it broadens the gene pool, and that enhances survival.

The little gel sacs can each hatch out up to a dozen or so babies, depending what species laid them. Commonly you see bladder snails, fast movers that are dark coloured and rarely get much over a quarter or 3/8 inch long, ramshorns, which have a flat spiral shape shell they carry vertically, and can be several colours, brown, red, blue, chocolate or leopard, rarely exceeding a half inch in width, and other pond snails which usually have paler colour bodies, similar conical shells to the bladder snails but paler in colour and can grow much larger, over a half inch. There is even a very tiny flat spiral shell species that never gets over a quarter inch wide, and is super thin, carrying it's shell horizontally. Kind of cute and don't breed nearly so fast as other snails do.

There are also mystery snails, giant ramshorns and asolene spixi snails, all part of the Apple snail family. Mystery snails most common, many, many colours, get up to golf ball size or a bit more. Giant apple snails get to baseball size eventually and will eat the plants. Giant ramshorns get as big as mystery snails but also have a flat spiral shell carried vertically. Spixis are striped and eat other snails of any kind, but are useful because they also eat thing like hydras.

Back
Top Bottom