Mystery fish and mischievious fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackomen

Aquarium Advice Regular
First is the mystery fish, after a couple hours of browsing pics on the web I'm losing ambition on finding out what this little guy is.

attachment.php

And then my lab is a mischievous little guy. He'll poke his face in the caves of the other fish just to get them to go crazy and other than that he just chews on my vals all day.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mysteryfish3.JPG
    mysteryfish3.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 178
  • yellowlabmunching.jpg
    yellowlabmunching.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 176
Thanks for the quick reply Tony. I wasn't really planning on having any haps in my mbuna tank so we'll see what happens.

i have two venustus in my mbuna tank, they get along fine... i am going to get rid of them soon, or start another tank and put them in, but you shouldnt have any issues with them

I took the hap back and got this one instead. Sorry for the bad photo.

attachment.php

Attachments

• newblue.jpg
    newblue.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 165
Here's a few more shots for inspection:

This one kinda shows the white blaze on the face and the length of the dorsal fin

attachment.php

The pics of the johani i've seen don't have the zebra like vertical bars like this.
attachment.php

Just another shot of the stripes.

attachment.php

And really without using the flash on the camera the fish looks pretty much just black.

Attachments

• NEWBLUE1.jpg
    NEWBLUE1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 160
  • newblu2.jpg
    newblu2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 150
  • newblue3.jpg
    newblue3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 165
really hard to say definately without a really super high quality photo... some fish are really easy to tell in a picture, some look so much like others, people have a hard time telling even if they look at them in person. i still think johanni, but maybe somebody else can see something different? i really dont think its any sort of afra

That is deff not a Johanni. If you don't believe me compare his pictures and google johanni cichlid, you can tell they are not the same. They might look a little similar but are not the same.

I do say it's some kind of Hap. cichlid but not sure that exact ID. It almost looks like a Blue Orchid Peacock Cichlid, but the coloring is giving me troubles.

it looks alot like the pictures if you google electric blue johanni... just a little darker, but its body shape just looks like most melanchromis...

Any chances that it might be a Sciaenochromis? The head shape doesn't look right to me for a Melanochromis. (Not that I know much about cichlids!)

Tony

Tony that was going to be my other guess but I stuck with my Blue Orchid Peacock because of the bronzish color he said it had around the head, that is common in peacocks. those Sciaenochromis just seem a bit too blue for it. But I guess it is difficult to perfectly ID cichlids even with a perfectly shot picture with the best camera. So many hybrids out there you never know exactly unless you get it tested, good luck with that haha.

I also got this fish at the same time, looks like his little brother. He has the same markings with the white blaze on the top of the head but a lighter body color.

attachment.php

Attachments

• babyblue.jpg
    babyblue.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 125
Your Yellow Lab is acting normal. These fish are vegetarians and will eat plants you put in the tank.
The blue fish is definatly NOT a johanni. Not even a Mbuna. The face and body are all wrong. Mbuna never have such long faces.

I have a guy that looks almost identical and its a young Sciaenochromis fryer, aka: Hap Ahli, Electric Blue
Here is the profile. Click down thru the pics and you will see.
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

Back
Top Bottom