Mystery snail and cracked shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexthefishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_20171209_210442196.jpg
I got a mystery snail a week ago at my local pet store and he had a very healthy shell. A couple of days later his shell began to open a hole and I was wondering how I could make it get healthier. All of the water parameters are good and the hardness is soft. I tried feeding it blanched zucchini to give it more calcium but it hardly ate any and the water got very cloudy very fast. Is there anything I could do to make the shell 100% healthy again?

From memory super glue can be used on cracked shells - please check that first as probably several years since I saw that. I added cuttlebone shell which grew algae and increased water hardness but it took time for shells to improve (I had the shells get damaged from low ph using CO2 injection and had to put them in another tank).

Your water is most likely too acidic. Take any tannins that may be in there out and use chemicals like ph up and stable ph.

Thank you for all of the suggestions but I got a couple of mineral rocks with calcium and nutrients that get released into the water and the snail is about 75% healthy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom