Mystery Snail Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The HTR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

Yesterday, I discovered mystery snail eggs in my 20g aquarium for the first time. After having a heartbreaking battle with ich, I went with just the pleco for a bit and put two mystery snails (golden and blue) into the aquarium along with an African dwarf frog. Just the other day, I added a small yellow African Cichlid who is quite an entertaining character, hiding in a corner and darting out for food before retreating back in.

Anyways, there are now eggs in three of the top corners of my aquarium. The water level had been lowered to create more surface agitation from the HOB filter while I maintain high temps. On the chance that some of these eggs actually hatch, will the African cichlid become a problem for them? I'd at least like 2-3 to survive to adulthood as the snails fascinate me to no end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats! I understand the snails lay their eggs above the water line on purpose, probably to protect them from fish. The Cichlid may very well snack on them after hatching though. Do you have another tank you can raise them in? How about adding extra cover for the snails to hide in?

I don't have another tank to raise them in and I'm a bit upset that I just witnessed the cichlid nip at my pleco and my golden mystery snail who were on the other side of the tank from his "cave" and not bothering him in any way.

I've found that by shifting the gravel around in his territory, it occupies him for hours trying to slowly recarve his place.

You can hatch out the snail in a small tub. This is a pretty good article on how:
Hatching Out Apple Snail Clutches

You can leave the eggs in place if it is humid, but I would suspect that your cichlid would eat the baby snails as they hatch (my goldies sure did). You might want to catch a few to raise in a separate tub when the time comes.

I haven't had any actual experience with snail eggs and cichlids, but I'm betting they would be considered snacks. I agree with jsoong, just hatch them in a small tub.

Turns out they weren't eggs...its was like the glue or whatever from the seams in the tank...I feel like a moron.

funny!
I only have one golden apple snail and they are much more entertaining than I ever expected...I was astonished to see the reaction to a tiny piece of calcium I added to my tank to raise hardness for my plants). I guess they are often deficient in this...
JD

Back
Top Bottom