Mystery Snail Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheDude

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

Woke up today to find a nice Mystery Snail egg sack attached above the water line in my 10 gallon shrimp tank.

I plan on saving a chunk of it to raise some of the babies.

Any advice on how to go about this?

Read about peeling it off the tank after a few days of it hardening and putting it in a moist environment for a few weeks, but any other advice on how to handle them would be appreciated!

Hopefully somebody with more experience than me can chime in here and give you some more pointers. But, I will just add to definitely make sure you keep it moist. If you can make sure the water level doesn't drown them while doing pwc, you can just leave it in the tank if you want. Removing it or not is often just a matter of preference rather than necessity.

Well first you most likely have an apple snail not a mystery snail but there's not much difference. I'm trying to breed mine so I made a little hatchery for the egg clutches here's some pics
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424025123.115223.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424025151.614238.jpg
It's just two small plastic containers and 1 lid with holes in it. All you do is fill the bottom container half way with water put the lid on put the egg clutch on the lid put the second container on the top covering the egg clutch and then you just put the whole thing in a warm place and wait 2 weeks and then you have baby snails ? doing some more research probably couldn't hurt either.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I actually set up something very similar to what you posted above. I woke up today to find that my white female laid a clutch haha so now I have two. And I actually ordered from online that was specific of having mystery snails since I heard most fish stores carry apple snails.

I have 2 black males, and 2 golden females, 1 white female, and a brown/gold female.

The males mated with each one, will there be different colors or a dominant color in the two different egg sacks?

Back
Top Bottom