Mystery Snail is REALLY a mystery! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animallover09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently adopted a black mystery snail from Petco a few weeks ago. The first week he was okay. He moved around the tank during the night and was always in a different spot. I never once seen him moving or stick to the side of the glass. He always stayed on the bottom.

Now, these past couple of weeks he hasn't moved. I did a 50% water change the day I got him (I did the water change, then went to buy him). I did another 50% water change last Thursday because (I'm guessing) the algae wafers I was giving him (only 2) made my tank really dirty. Since then, he hasn't moved at all! I tried moving him into my beta tank for a while to see if that would help but he still never moved.

I know that he isn't dead because I smelled him and he doesn't stink. Last night, I moved him back into my 48 gallon aquarium since he wasn't making any progress in the beta tank and he still hasn't moved.

I thought the reason he might not be doing good in my big tank is because of the cichlids I have in there. But I never see them picking on him unless they do it when Im not watching.

Please help! I don't know why he doesn't move and I want to make him comfortable!

I have never had much luck with snails from either Petco or Petsmart. My tank is always in good condition so I am not sure why, but whenever this happens to me, the snails usually die around a week and a half after they stop moving around. It is weird because my friend has about 100 snails in her tank because they never stop breeding. Maybe they get bullied by the other fish.

Snail

Well, I have a friend who has the same kind of snail I do (I bought her one the same time I bought mine). Her snail seemed to start doing the same thing after a few weeks in her 55 gallon so she moved hers into her 5 gallon beta tank. As soon as she put him in there, he started going all over the place.

So, I got the idea to take my snail to her house and put in her beta tank. Instantly, I was able to see my snail for the first time in almost 3 weeks! He instantly came out of his shell and started eating like he was starving (which I don't blame him!)

What is in her 5 gallon beta tank thats not in my 49 gallon and 1 gallon beta bowl? I can't bring my snail home until I figure this out because he will starve to death in my tank!

Please help!

All I can suggest is that you compare your water to hers. Ph level, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc.

Do check all those things but mystery snails sometimes remain motionless for days or weeks at a time. They may estivate. Not hibernation but something like. They slow down their bodily processes for awhile and may partly bury themselves.

If he's alive, let him be if the water conditions are good. He should come out of this state at some point. Water needs to be hard, alkaline and pH must be 7 or more.

Yes to what Fishfur said. Mystery snails will go into their shell and stay their for days. They will also float at times. They only way to tell if they are dead is if their body is out of the shell and they smell really bad. Check your PH. I suspect that it is too low. Also check your nitrate levels. High nitrates will cause them to refuse to come out too. They are sensitive to nitrite and nitrates.

Are you adding calcium to his tank? Snails need calcium rich waters or their shells begin to crack and the will die. Supplement your tank with calcium weekly. You can buy calcium supplements for the tank, but it is creeper to buy some cuttlebone and break off peices for the tank, or use callcium for reptiles/crickets.
Also don't use any aquarium salts in the tank.

For calcium you can also use antacid tablets like TUms, eggshell, human calcium supplements, and calcium rich foods like dandelions and spinach.

Also for food, they like Hikari Crab Cuisine because it has extra stuff in them for good shell development.

They will try to protect themselves from bad water conditions and close up as previously mentioned. Also different pH in water. And fearful or if they are injured, like bitten by a fish, to heal.

They need to be acclimated to their new water so they can adjust when you bring them home.

Also I use Hikari bottom feeder wafers, has an orange wrap and has a Cory, and Clown and other Loach on it, also the Algae wafers, green label. They don't muck up your water. Feed conservatively. They will also eat fish food left overs so it can be easy to over feed.

You can also check out applesnaildotnet, replace the dot with a . -fun and so very interesting.

Are you adding calcium to his tank? Snails need calcium rich waters or their shells begin to crack and the will die. Supplement your tank with calcium weekly. You can buy calcium supplements for the tank, but it is creeper to buy some cuttlebone and break off peices for the tank, or use callcium for reptiles/crickets.
Also don't use any aquarium salts in the tank.

Ive used reptile calcium but it always makes the water super cloudy.

Yes to what Fishfur said. Mystery snails will go into their shell and stay their for days. They will also float at times. They only way to tell if they are dead is if their body is out of the shell and they smell really bad. Check your PH. I suspect that it is too low. Also check your nitrate levels. High nitrates will cause them to refuse to come out too. They are sensitive to nitrite and nitrates.

I pulled a mystery snail out of my tank the other day that I suspected was dead - smelt awful!! Tossed him in my 'fish bucket' got sidetracked and forgot all about it - the next day my son said muuuuuummmm ur snails going to climb out of that bucket if u don't get it!! Thought he was pulling my leg - sure enough I went out and it was alive - still got me stuffed how!!! It's now called my miracle snail lol

Zombie Snail. LOL They smell extremely bad when they are dead. There is no other smell like dead carrion.

I've had them do that. Trust me the smell you think is bad is not the same as a dead one. A dead one will smell necrotic.

Separate Snail to Feed

I was wondering if a snail stays in one place, for several days... :blink: Is it ever good to remove him, and put him into a separate bowl to feed algae wafers or cucumber? My fish like to pick at it & eat it, by the time he gets around to the bottom of the tank or even notices it it'll be long gone, and I would hate for my fish to get bloated on stolen food :eek:

Of course you would need to remove him carefully, if he doesn't release I'd wait a bit & try again or splash with some water of he's above the water line. If they start being loners, should you make them eat something? :ermm:

Snails can sit and appear dead in some cases for weeks. This is called estivating. Not hibernation, but something like. If he is hungry he will find food. If not, you cannot make him eat. I feed some extruded sinking spirulina pellets that they love, they'll come from anywhere and swarm the pellets within seconds of them hitting bottom. Not sure why these pellets are so popular, but they sure are. Cobalt brand, if you want to try them.

Give him a week or two, if he still does not move, gently pick him up and push slightly on the door. If it is mushy or there is a bad meat smell, he is dead. If the door is solid and resists the push and there is no stench, he is alive so put him back and wait. Eventually he should start activity again.

Also just make sure your tank parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are at acceptable healthy levels. Sometimes they close/stay closed for protection.

Back
Top Bottom