Mystery snails and clown loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macmom6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some mysery snails purchased to help with the clean up in my 30 gal tank. Can they co-exist with the clowns? The smaller of the two loaches I have is currently rsting on a rock eyeballling the snail. He has tried to nibble on this one a few times - the snail, fortunately, has it's trapdoor closed tight. I have not seen the larger of the two clowns messing with any of the snails.

If I'm not mistaken loaches do eat snails. From what I remember, most loaches eat them. I'd read that loaches are often used for cleaning large snail populations out of a tank that have become a nuisance. Perhaps someone can verify that?

for about 5 mins. it will be gone quickly if you leave them in there. how many clown loaches do you have in the 30. they are slow growers but sure needs larger tanks.

I only have the two. They were given to me as a gift. This is a breeder style tank though so has a larger surface area and can therefore support a larger bioload. I do not have the tank stocked to capacity and do weekly water testing and water changes to ensure good water quality along with frequent gravel vacuuming to remove the larger bits of detritus.

I agree the clowns will make short work of the snails. I had a major pond snail overload in my 55 and with the addition of two striata loaches there were absolutely no snails in the tank within a week and I had hundreds.

Back
Top Bottom