Mystery snails for algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's always interesting to me when I hear other hobbyists say that their apple snails aka mystery snails eat algae.... I've just had a totally different experience with them. I've had countless apple snails over the years and have never considered them an algae eater. Nerites are fantastic algae eaters, they are the only snail I've ever kept that eats only algae. They also will not reproduce in freshwater and come in many attractive colors and patterns. Ramshorn snails are personally my favorite algae eating snail, they also feed on plant detritus and leftover food, but they aren't for everyone. They will reproduce but if you don't overfeed that shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure if mines a mystery snail or apple snail but the guy keeps eating my plants! Ill put in a plant and in a matter of a few days they will be completely eating. I don't know what to do. I just bought some algae wafers for my bn pleco/cory catfish, and i'm wondering if the snail will eat that too. I really would rather have live plants in my tank rather than the snail. Should I just return him to the LPS?:ermm:

There are many different types of apple snails and some do eat live plants. If the one you have is eating plants and will not take to plant wafers or veggies, then return it. Have your tried to add veggies like lettuce, zucchini, carrots, celery, or just about any veggies. Boil it in water for 3 minutes or microwave it in water for a few minutes and put in the tank. If that does not work then returning is just about your only option.

I would recommend both, why not?
I have 2 mystery snails and 3 nerites in my 55, the apples are very entertaining to watch

Back
Top Bottom