Name that Algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Nano tank has finished cycle and things are looking fairly good. Except for this algae that seems to have popped up in multiple places, including in the DSB, back wall, and LR. Bio-load is relatively light for the 12 gal tank - two Percula Clowns, a lone hermit, and a handful of Nassarius snails that prowl the DSB.

Water quality seems OK as per the last tests - P04 below .2 and other readings at or near zero. Did a 5 gal water change over the weekend (using only RO water) to see if that would help, but it looks like the growths have actually prospered.

Feedings are daily - about 1/4 of a cube of brine shrimp and a few Formula 2 pellets for the bottom dwellers.

Any ID would help as well as thoughts on what to add to eat the stuff.

Attachments

• aquarium 007.jpg
    aquarium 007.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 37
  • aquarium 009.jpg
    aquarium 009.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 38
Looks like hair algae. Try more frequent PWCs, feed every other day. What is your lighting schedule? The other stuff looks like a diatom bloom, in the 2nd pic, on the sand. How long has it been since your tank finished the cycle?
What are your exact readings, even small amounts of ammonia and nitrItes are toxic to your critters.

I'll keep up the PWCs - do another couple of gallons this weekend and change feedings to every other day at the max. Cycle completed about two weeks ago as best as I can tell.

Lighting schedule is approximately 10 hrs (compact fluor.). Been thinking about taking it down to 7-8.

Will do another round of chemistry this evening and post numbers as soon as I can.

Not sure if phosphates "below 0.2" means zero or not, but if they're around 0.2ppm, then that's a fair amount. Not terrible, but more than you want. I know you say you're using RO water, but have you checked your RO for phosphates? Seems like 0.2ppm is coming from somewhere other than just food.

Bio-load is relatively light for the 12 gal tank - two Percula Clowns...

Two percs in a 12g isn't a light load by any means. That's a very heavy load, in my opinion.

the numbers are as follows (assuming my test kits are reading properly):
SG=1.0215
PH=8.4
Alk = "high"
Ammonia = 0
NO3=<0.2 mg/l
NO4=<0.2 mg/l
PO4=<0.2 mg/l
temp = 79-80

I'll run a check on the RO unit tomorrow.

I've also adjusted the light timer to 9 hours.

Two percs in a 12g isn't a light load by any means. That's a very heavy load, in my opinion.

Interesting - Other posts in the Nano forum seem to indicate that a pair of Percs isn't a problem for this size tank. I'd be interested to know why you would consider Percs "heavy"...

Two fish that get fat and 3" in length in a 12 gallon tank is a lot of fish in my book... that's all. Even though the inch/gallon rule isn't really a good gauge, going by that you've got 2" of fish per gallon which is way off from any of the rules-of-thumb I've read.

While many in the nano forum may have 2 percs in a 12g and see nothing wrong with it, I bet none would consider it a "light" load. If your tank is maxed out to the hilt, then you have a heavy load... that's all I'm saying.

Also... with a small tank, variation in water parameters can happen pretty quick if you're not on top of things. You mention your alkalinity is "high". If that's all the reading your test kit gives you, I'd get a different test kit that reads in dkH or meq/liter so you can more closely monitor the level and keep it stable.

Last edited:
Appreciate the comments about the Percs and will keep it in mind going forward.

I also agree about the test kit and it's accuracy. Unfortunately it's what I had available from the LSF. New kits (Salifert in all likelihood unless anyone can recommend better or equal with lower pricing) are on the list of things to order.

Agree with Roka - I primarily use the API tests. They seem like fairly accurate tests for not a lot of money. However, I do use Salifert for Ca... just to double check the API test from time to time. Also use the Salifert for Nitrates because of the abillity to read very low levels.

Yep, I agree. I kept my 55 at 1.020 for a long time and my hitch hiker zoas and button poylps didn't grow very fast, once I upped the salinity (slowly and over time, of course) they are spreading like wild fire.

Back
Top Bottom