Name that wood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been struggling with if I should just go ahead and put this in my tank.... Its from Petsmart, "All Living Things" brand, unfortunately from the reptile section :ermm: Didnt mention what kind it was, only that it had been heat treated. I boiled it twice, gonna do it again tomorrow, and before boiling I soaked it for 3 days. Would love to hear from anyone who has used this brand in they're tank! :thanks:

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 90
I thought most of that "all living things" reptile stuff was grapevine, and I read somewhere not to use it in an aquarium. This looks a little different (maybe because of the soaking and boiling?).
The blond wood in my mopani is really pronounced, so I don't think it's that though.

Doesn't look like Mopani. Mopani has two colors to it, light and dark wood and it's a very hard wood.
It absolutely did have a lot of dark colored wood but after boiling and soaking it started to lift so I picked it all off (very tedious btw) Its a very heavy piece. I am very hesitant to put it in. The price was right tho and that is why I bought it. I might just have to shop around for one made especially for aquariums :)

I bought a piece of wood from Petco. It was called Mopani! My piece looks similar to yours. It is from South Africa. Please note that I soaked My piece every day for a month (changing out the water daily) before the water stayed clear. You need to remove all the tannis or your water will be brownish for a period of time. The Tannis will not hurt your fish or plants. Keep soaking daily until the water stays clear!

Man, I really hope it is Mopani! I have been boiling/soaking for days and its still leaching loads of tannins. I reallllllly want to put it in my tank!

AndrewsPistol said:
Man, I really hope it is Mopani! I have been boiling/soaking for days and its still leaching loads of tannins. I reallllllly want to put it in my tank!

Mopani wood has two colors to it, dark chocolate and a tan color. If not it's probably not Mopani. :)

Hmmm well the inside is dark, there was a lot of dark in the outside but after so much boiling and soaking it started to lift so I spent a looking time picking and scratching it all off. I should probably just skip it all together so I don't hurt my fish :) anyone know any awesome websites to browse for driftwood?

My piece is about 16"x8" and like I said earlier, it took a full month, buy worth the wait! Be patient!!!
Ok, soaking is the key! I did go ahead and order a piece of genuine Mopani so I can get something in the tank for my africans to hide amongst, right now there are only 2 cichlid stones and 2 fake plants and one Squidward house my daughter picked out :) I dont want to put too much in there during my cycle because of the frequent water changes messing things up a bit :) The wood I got from ebay has been preboiled and soaked and claims to have "all tannins leached out" But I will definitely be boiling and soaking myself also!

Petsmart around here only has Mopani. They have fake malasian and other plastic ones, but only the mopani is real.

Petsmart around here only has Mopani. They have fake malasian and other plastic ones, but only the mopani is real.
The tag did not specify the kind that it is :( It just said "All living things" Tried doing some research but cant find any!

If you like live plants, Java Ferns and Anubias Nana look great tied to Mopani Wood. They really make the tank pop! Easiest plants in my mind to grow.

gmanova said:
If you like live plants, Java Ferns and Anubias Nana look great tied to Mopani Wood. They really make the tank pop! Easiest plants in my mind to grow.

Oh yes that is why I wanted driftwood! I saw them on eBay... Along with those moss balls! Too cool :)

Back
Top Bottom