Name this Butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CB is close but I believe it's actually a Black-Backed Butterfly ( Chaetodon melannotus ) The biggest difference between the 2 is the amount of yellow at the back end of the fish. Check out this pic: Black Back Butterflyfish

It's one of my favorite "Assorted Butterflies" as they do better in a tank than many others. They do need some coral in their diet however for best coloring and longevity.

Hope this helps (y)

I found this site that may help you identify and answer the care questions and if you should try them in a tank. I didn't see anything in a number of pages that I disagreed with ;) (y)
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bfsindo5.htm

CB is close but I believe it's actually a Black-Backed Butterfly ( Chaetodon melannotus ) The biggest difference between the 2 is the amount of yellow at the back end of the fish. Check out this pic: Black Back Butterflyfish

It's one of my favorite "Assorted Butterflies" as they do better in a tank than many others. They do need some coral in their diet however for best coloring and longevity.

Hope this helps (y)

:facepalm:
I was so close!
I do agree with Andy seeing the difference.

:facepalm:
I was so close!
I do agree with Andy seeing the difference.

Close only counts with Horseshoes and Hand Grenades. :ROFLMAO: :D:

The link I posted in my edit contains a nice list and pics of IndoPacific, Red Sea and Australian Butterflies and the page I started at has both fish on it so you can see the difference. (y) It's subtle...but there. ;) (y)

Thanks guys. I have friend that asked if I knew and it stumped me. I knew I'd get an answer here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom