nano lagoon reef series.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmilkman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I watched the nano lagoon series on you tube. Could someone who has seen the series tell me how accurate the info in it is because I am thinking of doing a 20 gallon in this way if it will work

Watched the same series and my ten gallon tank is doing good! I did choose an aquaclear 30 for my filter though but all in all its going good

ForumRunner_20131130_183319.jpg

I have a penguin 350 for my filter. Did you put any fish in there

Yeah, I have a clown, 2 corals, and 4 snails. I have to get my water quality a little better but plan on adding one more clown and probably some corals and that will be it

ForumRunner_20131130_202808.jpg

Yeah its definitely addicting, a lot of work goes into these nano tanks that's the only downside. For my first saltwater tank its going well but I'm definitely going to go bigger as soon as I get the room. If you can afford to go bigger now I highly recommend it. Water quality is a lot easier to maintain as well as though whole tank in general. Your consistently monitoring and testing and adding buffers to maintain the quality of water.

I have a 90 gallon I will eventually do. I have to drill it and build a sump first.

What kind of chemicals should I add to the tap water for this nano reef?

So far I'm having it add ph buffer and calcium for the corals and try to stray away from tap water. The one good thing about nano reefs is its cheap to buy the ro/di water from your local fish store and I go as far to buy my saltwater from them as well just because I only do a 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks.

I will check with my lfs and get some water from them. Right now I just put salt and tap water in right now. I got 160 gallons worth of salt(a 5 gallon bucket of it) on clearance from Petco for 7 dollars. I will get some ro/di water from my lfs for my water changes. All that is in the tank now is the water and live sand. Going to let it filter in the tank several days before adding any corals or fish.

Ou should check out the how to cycle a saltwater tank in the article section on here. You will need to add an ammonia source to start and it usually takes 2-4 weeks. If you have any live rock or plan to get any you will need to add it before you start the cycle. I wouldn't have used any tap water to start, unless you can test for it - definitely use ro-di for future top offs and mixing salt water if you want a successful reef ;)

I used tap water for the first few months in my tank and had algae (diatoms and red slime) the whole time. Finally invested in a RO/DI unit and after several weeks of water changes, I haven't had a problem since. I will never use tap water again. Just giving some personal experience. Good luck!

Thanks. Going to start my water top offs with rodi water and then my changes

Here's my 10 gallon nano lagoon as they call it at about 3-4 months old

Attachments

• 1388359061410.jpg
    1388359061410.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 88
I'm already wanting to go bigger! Looking at doing a 20 gallon long aio setup

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm in the process as we speak of setting up a 90 gallon
Just reinforced the floor underneath lol

Haha very nice, I have to wait until we buy a house then plan on doing a 125 gallon

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom