Nano Reef set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGabbs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

Up until now, i have only done freshwater aquariums. And i think it about time to try a saltwater aquarium.

I was at a local petstore yesterday, and saw a very good deal on an 8 gallon acrylic cube aquarium. (its actually more like 6.5g i think) I knew it would sell so i went ahead and bought it. Seems like a really solid kit, and very clean. this is it- Aqueon® Evolve 8™ nano All-Inclusive Desktop Aquarium with LED - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart I have had acrylic tanks before and understand how scratch-able they are, but i really like how clear and vibrant things look with them.

Anyway, i know that most people don't recommend starting the hobby with such a small tank, but i have been running aquariums for over 12 years now, and i think i can handle salt.

I have a great local fish store that i can get nice pieces of live rock from. For water I will be using RO/DI water from my local fish store who practically gives it away it to me.

Here are my questions:

Do you guys think that the LED setup in this would support decent reef growth, or will i need a more powerful LED arm? If so, could you make a recommendation on a good LED arm that would work here.

I know that smaller aquariums are harder to maintain in terms of water parameters, but i i do weekly water changes and tests even with FW tanks, so i don't think salt will be overwhelming.

For the first couple months I'll probably keep the tanks fishless, and then maybe later on i will ad an invertebrate or something.

If i keep it fishless, will i need to through some pieces of shrimp in the tank once in a while to keep the nitrogen cycle going?

No but you will need to have live rock and complete your cycle first with a dead shrimp or dosing ammonia.
Once the tank is cycled with the live rock your biological filter us established. The life and dieoff it alone contains and produces is enough to keep it going.

I do suggest adding a small clean up crew after the cycle. This will help maintain algae, strengthen the bio filtration and give you some little guys to stare at.

Thanks! After a strong recommendation from my dependable LFS, i took that tank back and I'm going to look into a biocube 14 instead. Its a much better start apparently.

Back
Top Bottom