Nano SW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CLR250

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

So I was thinking that maybe, depending on my finances, I would start a 10 gallon nano tank, FOWLR or even just Fish Only. What kinds of things would I need to start me off? Pumps? Recommended Fish? Anything helps really!

I know that I dont have much to work with in a 10 but I have seen some amazing 10 gallon or smaller SW tanks.

Thanks!

If you can I would go a bit bigger its way easier. I have a 29 gallon jbj hqi nano cube. Love it. Everything is all in one. The only other equipment I needed was two heaters two powerheads two thermometers. The second of everything was for my pwc bucket. Also test kits. You will need rock. You could do dry rock to start it is cheaper then live it will just take a little longer for your BB to build up. The BB is what stabilizes and filters your tank. Take a look in the nano tanks section there is lotsa nano build that you could get some great info from.

I'll see what I can do about a bigger tank, the biggest issue is not having room. If I do go with the 10 however, do you think I could get a scooter blenny in there? I absolutely adore those fish for some reason! Tell me what you think I could put in there even the types of gobies you would recommend.

Bennies get pretty big as well. If I am correct about 3-5 inches. Have you search liveaquria they have some great info on their website as well as a nano section which should have some guidelines on what fish you could possibly do. In my heart of hearts I still feel a cool coral and invert tank would be the best option. :)

I was thinking of an invert tank too, problem is, with corals here in Hawaii I dont have very many options because you arent supposed to have any hard or soft "native" corals. Collecting is obviously out of the option but I might be able to get some softs from my LFS which is awesome. What inverts would you recommend for that size tank?

I would imagine that is why, especially considering that there is a HUGE fine for taking coral or even if your found breaking it...Truth be told though, I don't think I have seen any soft corals here yet. I know you are allowed to collect fish without a collectors permit (to a certain size of course) but not corals. Interestingly enough though, you ARE allowed to take sand and "rubble" like a gallon a day. I completely understand where they are coming from though, the reefs do need to be protected and people going out there and breaking off chunks of coral cause years of damage.

Sale of corals
The sale of all species of stony corals which are native to the Hawaiian Islands is prohibited. HAR 13-95-70

Some examples of native Hawaiian corals are shown below. This list does not include all native species.
Rose and cauliflower corals, lace corals, antler coral, lobe coral, finger, rice, mushroom(hard mushroom coral) or razor coral, and orange cup coral…
Strange though, doesnt say anything about soft corals...maybe the LFS guy just didnt know what he was talking about. I havent seen any softs for sale around though but maybe I just need to look harder =P

Back
Top Bottom