Nano tank build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You only have so much room and this should stock appropriately for the size tank you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I have been working on something similar to what you are doing.

I started with a 5G Chi tank then moved to a 15G column which is a poor choice due to the tall configuration instead of long, but had been wanting that specific tank for FW shrimp but since I had got it for $20 complete with a filter, I decided to try it out.

Used the Aqueon 50/50 compact CFL bulbs for 9.99 x 3, but got a discount of $2.00 each; used a yard sale and from our house, goose neck and clamp goose neck light and drafting table light $1, $2 and $5.00 (but already had it at home) as the fixtures, one screwed into the hood and I ended up using one for my Chi 5G which I decided to use for a QT tank. Already had the Chi tank as well.

I splurged on live sand though people said I didn't need to. Got rock from a hobbyist who decided not to use the rock anymore for $10 for a huge plastic tub. Then bought some LR about 8lbs to make sure there was good BB. Also got Chaeto for $5. and used a couple pieces of folded bulk filter media I already had.

That was the basics.

My problems are the tank shape, it was pointed out will be a problem for lighting. I have been using the goose necks as spot lights and keeping most of the frags up towards the top area.

Everything people at the lfs tell me is not correct...almost everything :ermm: Each coral frag I get is said to be something it is not. The lfs says I can have fish which I should not have... so beware the LFS info, ;).

Lower light stuff is doing well. Lower to Mid light also seems good.

After 3 months I now have 2 fish here they are in the pic, Yellow Clown Goby and a Red Dragonet, aka Scooter Blenny. I also have a "million" snails and 2 shrimp which hide ALL the time. Fire Red and Peppermint Shrimp. I hear that even though they cost SO much more, go for a cleaner shrimp.

60074-albums13960-picture67338.jpg

I really like the different look compared to FW and such different animals. The other thing is to stay away from the weedy things, Cloves, Xenia, Kenya Tree and stuff that multiplies like rabbits and can overtake a small tank pretty fast!

Watch out for bad algae and read up on those.

Happy SW keeping.

Back
Top Bottom