Nano update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craigj247

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys most of you would have seen my 10 gallon tank thread and I am looking to update to a bigger tank...

Just created a small draft let me know what you think... Was just thinking of about a 2 or 2.5ft. Nothing too big cause I still like managing a small tank :)

image-692653490.jpg

Looks good your sump kinda looks like mine, my baffles are reverse from yours though, to make sure no micro bubbles get to the tank.

Oh!!!! I so forgot about the micro bubble issue from the skimmer.... Thanks a bunch :) and this is by a draft always helps... Def going to add a bubble trap after the skimmer chamber...

Can I see a pic of the system if you're ok with that :) I currently have a 10gallon reef tank with inbuilt compartment filters but I now want to upgrade to an overflow with a sump and refuge... Just seems like the next step for a better stable reef Eco system.

image-4207606014.jpg

These are the only baffles I have, you might be ok If your putting filter media in between your baffles. Lol I don't have anything except some stuff for phosphates. Once their done working its oh natural for me agian.

Cool... I shall anyway jeep thus thread updated as soon as I get the new system up and running :) thanks for the reply btw... Was not sure if my design was on the right track or not... *thumbs up*

That's cool!!!! And I can easily say that is the first "L" shape sump I have seen and I am sure you must be one of the few reef junkies to have it :)

Hi guys most of you would have seen my 10 gallon tank thread and I am looking to update to a bigger tank...

Just created a small draft let me know what you think... Was just thinking of about a 2 or 2.5ft. Nothing too big cause I still like managing a small tank :)

I'd consider changing the skimmer baffle design so the skimmer has a content water level. On your design the water level will vary slightly

Yeah was thinking of adding an auto top off system to maintain the water level in the system... Would that help?

Oh sorry you mean is the water level rises once the sponge gets clogged with dirt... Well I will be monitoring my tank daily since I work from home so I should be able to keep it under control... But do you have any suggestions to the issue maybe?

Well with your system the left baffle doesn't "overflow" which means a varying water level. Should the return clog up(happens) then your pump will fill your tank with your entire sump volume. Change the left baffle to a constant one, up to the water level you want. Change the right baffle so the water has to overflow to the pump. That way you are risking a dry running pump but at least no flood....

Excellent!!!! Thanks so much :) shall adjust my drawing and upload a new one... This is am extremely productive method instead of jumping in head first :) *thumbs up*

Exzellent! Well i would build it like that. Glad I coul help. Bear in min I don't do this for a living though ;)

Ha ha bare in mind the best ideas come from the hobbyists and not the businessman :)

If you have the right overflow set up in your tank, you don't have to worry about your tank overflowing and flooding your refugium. But make sure your head in your tank, is a little out of the water or you can possibly have the water siphon from the pump side to sump. I was scared also at first, at how the sumps work. You just have to make sure to leave a little room for water to flow down in the sump if you shut your pump off. I'm a freak so I put a check valve on the pump side, along with ball valves on both in and out lines. Lol when I shut my pump off, my sump water rises about 1 1/2" in.

Back
Top Bottom