Naso Tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonmerlin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I resently got a 3-4" Naso tang for a 65 Gal tank. I know it is going to out grow this at some point. How fast do these grow on average? How big is too big for this sized tank (i.e. 7-8"). I only have 3 damsels right now and I don't plan on getting any more fish right now but I might change my mind in the future if the tank stays stable for a few months. I have a large filter and protein skimmer.

He is picking the algae growth off the rocks and tank but is not eating the green algae sheets I'm putting in much. Anyone have a good diet plan for these.

BTW if you think this is crowded it was in a 10 gal when I bought it full of chromies.

They say 135 min on these fish... I have a 4" in my 125 a 6' long tank and he seems happy, plenty of swimming room.
If he's eating and swimming then he shold be fine for now but he may get sick after a while if there is not enough swimming room.
It's not really all about keeping the tank stable that you should look at, its keeping the fish healthy in a small tank.
Try feeding it brine/mysid shrimp and flake foods. Not all of them will eat the sheets.

You can try brown Nori, mine eats like there is no tomorrow. He also loves frozen mysis shrimp. I feed mine (and the whole tank) a variety of stuff.

Mike

I have had mine almost a year and she has about doubled in size. Very healthy, eats like a pig and a very active swimmer. This is why they need the space, so figure that between now and the next 9 or so months, if the Tang is eating well, you will need to upgrade the tank. One thing to keep in mind is that at the current size, it is a lot easier to trap and handle, so you may want to seriously think about upgrading now. HTH

Dont up grade the tank thats exspensive just down grade the fish trade him in at your LFS for a smaller one :roll: people get to stuck on having the same fish for ever they would up grade there house if they had to! LFS will give you store credit for him! Aquariums and fish are my hobby but im not that stuck on my fish that i cant trade them in when they out grow there home.

yeah you get attached but not like a dog or cat i hope i would NEVER trade in my dog but fish come on man it's a fish. I have no problem hooking one for dinner or cutting a small one up for bait to get the bigger ones to bite. I like my fish and this hobby but im not spending 4 or 5 thousand on a bigger setup just because my fish got to big! If you would then more power to ya! I get tired of looking at the same fish anyway.

yeah you get attached but not like a dog or cat i hope i would NEVER trade in my dog but fish come on man it's a fish
that is coming really close to ridiculing people for their emotions and doing that isnt too nice. Please remember that there are alot of people here that do not feel that way and would be offended by your words.

Beyond that, saltwater fish can be quite expensive and you can not hope to regain the monies spent on their purchase nor the care that got them to a large size by trading them in at a fish store. The variety of fish that can be purchased is phenomenal, why not just start with something more appropriate to the tank you have?

Dont up grade the tank thats exspensive just down grade the fish trade him in at your LFS for a smaller one
That doesn't seem to be a responsible way of thinking, especially when considering that fish was yanked from the ocean for "our" hobby. What happens to all the ones that aren't tiny and cute?? I couldn't be so careless about ANY living thing. (and hopefully the universe won't be so careless w/ me...)

You can call it what you want. I like to refer to it as my opinion. And if im not mistaken thats what forums are for. So you can get different opinions. Other wise they could just go to there LFS and get one opinion and not have to deal with all the conservatives on this forum. Dont get me wrong i like this site i've gotten a lot usefull info from it but forums are for opinins and i posted mine and people get pissed??? To me it would be ridicules to spend a few thousand bucks on a hundred dollar fish thats my opinion. Some fish can live a very long time so how many tanks are you going to buy in that fishs life time??Im not saying use it for bait im saying take it back where you bought it. But to tell a new comer to the hobby that he/she cant buy certian fish because they grow to big or there tank is to small is not right thats steering them wrong. And i do agree you should buy acording to your tank size but fish grow over time so then what take out a second mortage so he has more room to swim? :roll:

But to tell a new comer to the hobby that he/she cant buy certian fish because they grow to big or there tank is to small is not right thats steering them wrong.
:? :? I would say that is steering them in the right direction.? Never call me a conservative LOL!!

I wouldnt agree because there are a lot of fish that grow big. So if your young or dont have the money for a big tank you can only have damsels? ( obsered )

So if your young or dont have the money for a big tank you can only have damsels? ( obsered )
Not absurd at all- really. I'm relatively young, (actually younger than you acc. to your profile) and a 125 gal. is nowhere in my future yet. So I went w/ a small reef. There are many options concerning fish. Clowns, Blennies, Gobies, Psuedochromis, etc, etc. Also IMO, if you can't afford to keep SW fish healthy get a FW setup until you can.
PS How relaxing and tranquil could it be to watch stressed and dying fish? Not what I want going on in my tank.

So what your saying is it's allright to kill FW fish or not keep them healthy. And i to have a small reef but a also have a 125 with fish that will get large also like naso tang and a saddle back grouper a porcupine puffer. Sorry for the spelling LOL :lol:

what is wrong with buying what is correct for your size tank?

As far as a tang in a small tank, even the small tangs need room to swim. If they dont have it, they get stressed, unhealthy and before you know it....dead. That is why it is wrong to have a throw away mentality such as the one you advocate. It is a waste of life of the creature and money to the person buying it on the advice of someone who gives bad advice.

Mabe im not being clear? You bought it from the FS your only taking it back when it gets to big. Thats not a throw away attitude its a recycle attitude. I got to enjoy it while it was small someone will get to enjoy it while its big. And at the same time i get to enjoy all types of fish :mrgreen:

Sounds more like a shelter than an aquarium. To each is own....I told you I wasn't a conservative LOL . I still don't agree w/ your practices though.

Some people want to keep the same fish for 20 years. And ill do the same as long as they dont out grow my tank if so there goners. Im not asking you to agree you keep your fish how ever you feel is right. I was simply trying to give some one my opinion not every one agrees all the time. But then now mabe that person who posted this topic will go out and get the fish he/she really wants instead of the fish some forum says he/she should get because some book they read says that a naso tang will grow to 18''. It might but in how many years? If it took 5 years to out grow his or her tank then that was money well spent in my book. Five years of enjoyment thats pretty good for 59.99 :lol:

I'll keep this in mind. It seems pretty happy now and has room to swim. I'll have to find a good LFS. The Petco I got it from has all 10-15 gal tanks and that would be worse for it.

Back
Top Bottom