Naso tang with brain injury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is the deal. I look in my tank and notice my naso tang is nowhere to be found. I look and look then finally spot him in a corner under some rock fluttering against the rock and back wall UPSIDE DOWN! I immediately get him into my QT tank. I notice he has a large gash/chunk of his forehead missing! What on earth?! After I place him in my QT upright, he immediately flips himself over and starts swimming upside down! He refuses to flip himself back over... My questions:
1) Removed
2) How could he have been injured like this? Banging head on rock? Attacked?
3) is he a goner?
4) what should I do to help him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe no one has ever dealt with this type of injury before... Just doesn't make sense.

I don't know about the missing section on his head but if he can't right himself and swims upside down it's a really bad sign. He probably won't last much longer...

Thanks for the input, Animal. I think you're correct. He hasn't improved. Still upside down.

fish have a swim bladder that makes it so they swim upright and float. When they are sick they can loose the ablity to make this function properly and it causes them to swim upside down or so they can't swim at all. Some fish (blennies for instance) don't have this bladder and its why they sit on rocks.

Back
Top Bottom