nassarius snail questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just put about 60 nassarius snails in my tank. When my turbos are on the glass you can see them "eating" (their mouths are actually visible movement). So far I haven't see the nassarius snails "eating". Will I see their mouths move or no?

Also I have hermits that I got when they were small, but are bigger now. They leave my turbos alone, but have seemed a little interested in these new snails so far. Tips?? Suggestions?? To bad for me????

Thanks!!!!

Your nassarius don't come out when you feed the tank? Try throwing in a small bit of shrimp or something, see if they surface then. Nassarius snails' mouths are at the end of a proboscis. They are not algae grazers so you won't see them cleaning the glass. So, I guess the short answer is no, you probably won't see their mouths.

I JUST put them into the tank. Is it ok for them to be on the glass?? Should I get more turbo snails for my rocks and glass??

How many turbos do you have now? You could also get some margarita or astrea snails. They are great algae eaters also.

Yes, the nassarius will climb the glass a little. They aren't real graceful though and usually fall off. At least mine do. They usually spend their time under the sand until they sense food.

i once dropped a piece of an algae cube in there for mine, all of them... all 15 of them, came running out of the sand, it was the cutest thing i've ever seen..

they popped their little tentacle out like they always do, it moved for a second and they surfaced, like a mole!

oh yes, and usually i don't see mine until night time when the moon light is on..

Their mouths are really tiny but I have seen mine grazing on algae on the side of the tank. They seem to do this mostly at night whe the moon lights are on.

My nassarius would never look twice at algae. They are carnivores. The Ilyanassa obsoleta, also listed as nassarius, I got from ebay are omnivores and will graze on the glass. But anyway...

You could probably add a few more turbos to the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom