Native minnows in tropical tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pseudomugil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 56 gallon tropical community tank with mostly rainbowfish, and I was wondering if I could put the tiny little schooling minnows I find in the lake near me in the tank. I live in Ontario, so the water here is pretty cold.

I wouldn't. If you do you are most likely to witness the death of all the minnow. Since they are found in much colder water, there is a very good chance that their oxygen requirement is significantly higher than what will be available in your tropical temperature tank.

There can also be parasites that the minnows can give to your current fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should set up a little native tank if you want to do that. Could be cool to see them grow.

29g Community

3g Betta

I have a 56 gallon tropical community tank with mostly rainbowfish, and I was wondering if I could put the tiny little schooling minnows I find in the lake near me in the tank. I live in Ontario, so the water here is pretty cold.

Depends. If the temperature of the lake gets warm during the spring and summer they will probably be okay if you gather them in the right season. Common Goldfish are "cold water" fish but they do fine at low tropical temperatures. If the lake water is in the low 70s and the tank is mid 70s they'll be fine. If the lake doesn't go above 65 that's a different story.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom