Native or tropical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have suddenly fallen in love with native aquariums and was wondering which I should do? This is more of a poll than anything but please list any pros/cons that you know of to each
The tank in question is a 90 gallon

I can only think of pro's to go native.
1. No heater issues
2. Possibilities are endless
3. Easily acquired stock
4. Most natives are extremely hardy
5. You could go nano or huge
Hope this helps. I always have wanted a native darter tank. Someday :)

I agree with those points. Some of the downsides would be that natives are just like tropicals in that certain types and colorations are found in different parts of the country, so you can't just go to your local creek and expect to find all the species you might want. One other downside is certain fish, especially wild caught, can be finicky and tricky to feed and will require live food or possibly frozen thawed food. There's only a few species that it is an issue with, but there are some out there.

Get studied up on the colorful fish species, there are tons of vivid darters, shiners, killifish, and even sunfish out there that will work.

Thanks! I was wondering if a smallmouth bass or largemouth bass would be possible in a tank of this size- however not long term, as soon as it gets too large, I'll release it and catch another smaller fish
Also is it easy to convert from natives to Tropicals? I'll probably start native then want the more colorful Tropicals
Sigh
I'm also wondering about a native stock, is this too much-
2- medium bluegill
3- medium sunfish of random species- I don't know the exact name I will however get them identified here
1- small largemouth bass
3- medium crappie
2- small flathead catfish
3- small rainbow trout
Lots of food fish
As soon as those fish get too big, I would release and catch more
I know the body of water I will be catching in- a private quarry that was stocked artificially

emerald76 said:
Thanks! I was wondering if a smallmouth bass or largemouth bass would be possible in a tank of this size- however not long term, as soon as it gets too large, I'll release it and catch another smaller fish
Also is it easy to convert from natives to Tropicals? I'll probably start native then want the more colorful Tropicals
Sigh
I'm also wondering about a native stock, is this too much-
2- medium bluegill
3- medium sunfish of random species- I don't know the exact name I will however get them identified here
1- small largemouth bass
3- medium crappie
2- small flathead catfish
3- small rainbow trout
Lots of food fish
As soon as those fish get too big, I would release and catch more
I know the body of water I will be catching in- a private quarry that was stocked artificially

I am so jealous! I think even small flatheads may be too big for a 90g. What about bullheads? But yes go with the bluegills. They are pretty and if taken care of properly, can get big.

A tank like that sounds like it'll have a lot of issues. Largemouth/Smallmouth bass really aren't tank friendly fish, especially in a tank that size. Sunfish (including bass) are territorial fish, so stocking them in numbers is bound to create conflict.

Bluegill are a more viable option than bass, but they do get big over a few years. Plus neither are really that colorful.

I'd avoid the catfish and go with madtoms, they max out at 4-6".

It's possible to create a tank display with some of the larger sunfish species, some nice colored shiners, and maybe darters or madtoms.

If you are set on going with one of the larger sunfish like the different bass, you'll likely end up with a large tank with a single or just a few specimens rather than an active community tank.

Keeping minnows or shiners as feeders in the tank is also not really the best idea either because these fish will often gorge themselves, plus it's not as healthy as a quality staple pellet or flake diet.

Colorful choices off the top of my head would be

Pumpkinseed from britannica.com
31033-004-4A4192E3.jpg

Longear sunfish from ux1.eiu.edu
longear_sunfish.jpg

Warmouth from siloutdoors.com
3144e20cab822041.jpg

Dollar sunfish (western) from nanfa.org
post-153-125038397926.jpg

Green sunfish from nanfa.org
sunfish_green.jpg

Orangespotted sunfish from epa.gov
orangespot_sunfish__web1_Jeff.jpg

Rainbow shiner from aqua-magica.com
rainbow-shiner.jpg

Bleeding shiner from flickr.com
5693105487_1d2e40bd3a.jpg

Is a Green Terror a sun fish because they look very similiar?

I have a native tank with peacock bass and guppies from the lake behind my house. Its pretty cool and it was easier getting them to eat than fish from the pet store. Id say go for it! :)

Oh ok thanks! The fifth picture though looks like a Green Terror I think.

vanimal said:
I have a native tank with peacock bass and guppies from the lake behind my house. Its pretty cool and it was easier getting them to eat than fish from the pet store. Id say go for it! :)

Unless you live in south america, I believe you are mistaken on that peacock bass ;) which is a cichlid btw... Just saying

As for the OP, a native tank would be a lot of fun, but I agree with the issues on territorial sunfish. I was doing some research and heard, well read, this on several other forums. And although a 90 gallon is a large tank for tropicals, it is actually on the smaller side for most native tanks, other than for darters and shiners. You could possibly do a single specimen tank with a pike or other predatory fish, although I think a pike will outgrow a 90 gallon rather quickly

No I live in Florida. There are also Oscars and Alligator Gar in the lakes here.

I did a search on "freshwater fish of maryland", as i see in your profile :) and as for bottom feeders, I completely agree with the suggestion of madtoms, either tadpole madtoms or marginated. They stay quite small in comparison to flatheads, channel, blue or bullhead catfish. As for you "main event" fish, i'd suggest a redfin pickerel, similar to a northern pike, but smaller from what ive seen on google lol, you may be able to a sunfish or two of larger size with it, as anything that can fit in their mouth, will probably be in their mouth. I do not completely know if this all would work out, so anyone if free to stand up and correct me lol :D just some ideas though

I'd probably skip the pickerel idea. They are cool and all, but not community friendly in the least. They will attempt to eat anything about half their size or smaller. I have had an adult one choke to death on an adult platy.

Given the small adult size of grass/redfin pickerel, though, they do great in smaller species tanks like 20g+.

Thats why i was thinking a single specimen in with larger, territorial sunfish spp would be enough to balance its intense predatory habits and provide you with a very unique and entertaining centerpiece. And if the madtoms would be too small, using a flathead instead, although ive heard they can be prone to rip up plants

A Grass/redfin pickerel in a 90g would get lost. They are not very big, even fully grown, and their colors for the most part blend in. They also spend 99% of their time hovering, usually near surface cover, so the only really exciting thing they do is destroy feeders as you put them in.

The pickerel would probably work in a tank with some other appropriately sized fish, you just wouldn't be able to put in something like a school of shiners.

Some of the sunfish I listed are fairly peaceful, and several of them are quite small fully grown. Dollar sunfish for example, rarely get over 4" or so. Orangespotted are another small, fairly peaceful species as well.

I've tried mixing various things like bluegill and greens and dollars. For the most part,they get along, but similar to cichlids when you add a new one to the tank they will pick on it.

Over the next few weeks as I redo my 125 into a riffle/creek tank I am going to try a few varied species to see how it goes in a larger well divided tank.

I stated that I'll release once the fish are too big

You should probably check on local laws, in many states it is against the law to release fish kept in captivity back into the wild.

Generally speaking Rainbow trout are going to require a chiller, and need colder temperatures to thrive than the sunfish.

Sunfish and bass are not going to mix in a 90 gallon tank, the bass will eventually get to the point where it will attempt to bully the sunfish and dominate the tank.

Wy Renegade said:
You should probably check on local laws, in many states it is against the law to release fish kept in captivity back into the wild.

Generally speaking Rainbow trout are going to require a chiller, and need colder temperatures to thrive than the sunfish.

Sunfish and bass are not going to mix in a 90 gallon tank, the bass will eventually get to the point where it will attempt to bully the sunfish and dominate the tank.

It is a private quarry filled with water where the fish cannot get out once they are in
It was stocked with fingerlings 30+ years ago and a few more fish are added every year
I have permission from the owner to do this

It is a private quarry filled with water where the fish cannot get out once they are in
It was stocked with fingerlings 30+ years ago and a few more fish are added every year
I have permission from the owner to do this

Be that as it may, I would still check on local laws and regulations. In many states, there are laws that supersede private ownership - for example here in Wyoming, the state has authority over all water, even those waters which are on private property. Even though I may have permission from a private landowner to collect, I am still regulated by the state laws and regulations. Not sure how it is in Maryland, but better to be safe and sure than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom