Natural nitrate reducer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missy19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As anyone used instant ocean natural nitrate reducer? My nitrate level has been at 20 since we added fish. I know it's still an ok level, but was wondering if I should try to reduce it back to 0 now.

Do I need a protein skimmer in order to use it?

I would try and avoid all chemicals as much as possible. Just do more water changes. It will drop. As a last resort if water changes fail, skimmer doesn't help, reduced feeding doesn't help then "maybe" use a chemical. Keep your water as natural as possible. There are no treatments in the wild.

I'd just perform more frequent water changes. Not massive ones but more smaller ones.

You could also try a reactor.

22engine said:
It won't go down with water changes?

+1 before using chemicals always try and do so with water changes. If your using an ro/Di unit with a quality salt mix then you should have 0 nitrates in your new water. If you can't keep your nitrates down with weekly water changes then you are overstocked.

You should try to reduce your nitrates to 0. Good first step. Some more information about your tank might provide a more solid answer for you. Tank size/livestock?

The addition of a protein skimmer might help some, as it will remove waste from the water column. Keep in mind this will not directly reduce nitrates. Less waste = less breakdown = (in the end) less nitrates. Kinda a concept that does and doesn't make sense. I just stopped thinking about it too hard and knew it was good for a reef tank.

Another option might be a refugium setup or an algae turf scrubber. Both are the same basic idea. Growing algae outside of your display tank. Algae consumes nitrates as it grows. This in turn will require you to trim algae, as once it becomes so large it will stop consuming nitrates or die, falling back into the water and releasing the nitrates that it absorbed.

Algae scrubbers are usually more effective than refugiums though. I would def make one. They're easy and effective.

Back
Top Bottom