Natural ways to lower pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my pH is at about 7.6-.8 and I'd really like to get it closer to 7-.2 if possible and am wondering what some good methods are.

I really want to go about it in a natural way.

I've heard of there being certain rocks or types of wood that work...but I cant for the life of me remember what types they were. I think I remember someone mentioning using crushed coral before as well?

I've also heard of using peat moss, and will do that if there aren't any other truly viable options. -- how long would this last before needing to replace it with a new piece?

Any type of Chemical is 100% out of the question. I'd rather not lower it than mess with chemicals at all.

Bog wood and peat can lower ph BUT there is no way to control how much it will lower it. Crushed coral raises ph. If you really want a steady lower ph the best way is to cut your tap water with RO during weekly WC's. This will allow you to have the exact ph you want without any second guessing.

pH Question

So, my pH is at about 7.6-.8 and I'd really like to get it closer to 7-.2 if possible and am wondering what some good methods are.

I really want to go about it in a natural way.

I've heard of there being certain rocks or types of wood that work...but I cant for the life of me remember what types they were. I think I remember someone mentioning using crushed coral before as well?

I've also heard of using peat moss, and will do that if there aren't any other truly viable options. -- how long would this last before needing to replace it with a new piece?

Any type of Chemical is 100% out of the question. I'd rather not lower it than mess with chemicals at all.

Hello Oo...

Unless you want to keep and breed rare fish, then the acidity or alkalinity of your tap water isn't important. Your fish will adapt. They've been doing this for many decades. Just use a water treatment that removes the chemicals the city people put into the tap water to make it safe to drink. Prime from Seachem is a good product. Just don't get creative and try to mess with the pH.

There are other things way more important than the pH of your water. For instance doing large, weekly water changes.

Just a thought.

B

My pH out of the tap is 7.8, and RO would get too expensive for my budget right now.

I don't have any plans for "rare" fish in the immediate future, but eventually I would like to.

I also have some GBR's on order and since they are a delicate species I'd really like to do as much as I can to give them the ideal water requirements without spending too much cash.

The PH out of my tap is 8.2 and I initially had the same concerns as you, but after getting feedback from here and confirming the information I found that its not that big of a deal.

Ask the LFS where you get your fish what their PH is. If its a huge difference, then maybe take a little longer when you acclimate them.

pH Question

My pH out of the tap is 7.8, and RO would get too expensive for my budget right now.

I don't have any plans for "rare" fish in the immediate future, but eventually I would like to.

I also have some GBR's on order and since they are a delicate species I'd really like to do as much as I can to give them the ideal water requirements without spending too much cash.

Hello again Oo...

Most aquarium fish will adapt to most pH levels as long as the level remains constant. A constant pH between 6 to 6.5 and upwards of 8.5 are fine. The problems start when we think we can change things and maintain the change. Trying to alter the water chemistry typically results in sudden pH swings and this is most times fatal for fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom