Need a bigger tank for my new Jewel Cichlid. Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought her thinking she was one of the smaller varieties of cichlid, one that would ahve worked well with my 20G (high). After identifying her and reading up on them I have decided I need a bigger tank. In my area there is curently a 35G tank for sale at a good price. Everything I have read online says that I should have a 40G tank for her.

Is it possible to go with the 35G and for her to live a long happy life or should I go up the next step and get a 40G (or bigger) tank.

I am fairly new at this so any information you can provide I will be greatful for.

Thanks cmbtengnr43! How do they handle being solo? Doesn't stress them out like it would other types of fish? What about for activities for her to keep her from being bored?

Not really you could get her a bf and let them breed babies go for good money you could sell them to your local fish store jewels are aggressive but only super aggressive when breeding and only towards other fish but when they are spawning they turn super red and are beautiful! Not sure on ideas for other fish if you went with a bigger tank you could maybe add a friend of a different species

The store had another one that was about the same size. I dont know if it was male or female. From what I have read mine is a female ( red and blue tips on the top portion of the tail fin but not the bottom) . Is that a reliable way to determine sex? Only concern I would have about getting a second one is if they didnt pair up and mate then I would end up with 2 pretty but larger fish.

If I remember corectly from the store the one I bought and the second one in the store looked identical in most aspects. She might be a single lady unless I find another in the area. And all I meant by "larger" is that this beauty of a jewel is the largest fish I have cared for.

Generally.....males are larger and have pointed anal and dorsal fins. They also have spangles throughout their tails. Females are usually smaller bodies, have rounder anal and dorsal fins and have spangles on the top portion of their tails but the spangles fade as you go down the tail.
They mate for life but the best way to get a pair is to get a handful of them and once a pair bonds get rid of the rest. A 35 gallon is fine for a pair!

Thanks. :) Now I just need to make sure this 35 gallon tank is really a 35 gallon. Nothing I can read online has this as a standard size. From the terrible picture online the tank looks almost as tall as it is high. (somthing like a 4:5 ratio)

I am concidering going crazy and stepping up to a 50 but thats a good amount of cash to set up properly and I am living in an apartment where "pets" arent allowed. My arguement is I am on the bottom floor and my pets make way less noise than any of the neighbours.

Until I make the decision she will be happy in the slightly smaller tank. Might add in a group of cories for a clean up crew. If she gets agressive I will have the second tank to move them into.

It is a very tall 40 gallon tank. 30x26x12. I will need to do something to get some height out of my hardscape. But I think I can do some sort of cave setup to fill in the vertical space.

Yeah just stack rocks up but if I where you I would use aquarium safe silicone to hold them in place so they don't fall and break the glass

A sure fire way to tell if she's female is if she lays eggs. I have a single jewel, I didn't know if it was male or female, but she started bedding up and laying eggs about every 2 weeks. she'll defend them for a couple days before the loaches get to them.

wait and see if you notice any eggs around.

I believe the tank your talking about is a 37. I have one. I keep a jewel in it also. But the thing is... He also stays at the bottom of the tank. So try to find a good tank mate the swims at the top. Keep in mind they can get pretty aggressive.

I will see what I can find fora tank mate that can match her aggression. Little bit of research might be in order.

My jewel is in with a jack and some convicts they do fine but if only do one tank mate in that size tank and nothing that's gonna get bigger then her a female convict would do great

Back
Top Bottom