Need a lil help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got 2 oscars. They are young not quit 3 inches..... I love my fish and all my other animals. If anyone can please tell me y my water is cloudy and how to fix it I would be very great full i bought some purple stuff I was told by a employ at petco but it has made the water a dull yellow... I want 2 very happy and healthy fish please help

Hi!

First just to let you know your in the wrong section. I'm sure a MOD will reroute your thread to the appropriate section.

Second... Welcome to AquariumAdvice!! Your gonna love it here.

What size tank? How old is the tank? Have you done any recent gravel vacs or water changes? Changes any decor? Stirred up some debris?

What did your LFS (local fish store) sell you? That stuff that helps clear the water up? I forget the name.

Been tryn to reply Internet sucks! Fish tank been up for 3 weeks haven't done any vacuuming or any changing have a 75 gal tank the stuff I bough is purple when I put it in dont remember the name of it one of the kids at Xmas threw it away... Hate to say I did look for it in the trash,burn all out where I live

Maybe tank isn't fully cycled?
I had a 20 gallon set up and for the first month and a half the water was cloudy. Then. All of a sudden out of no where it was clear one Day after a water change

Maybe tank isn't fully cycled?
I had a 20 gallon set up and for the first month and a half the water was cloudy. Then. All of a sudden out of no where it was clear one Day after a water change

Thanks but I'm ready to call an expert over to maybe fix problem of I can find one!!!! Idk what to do. Just want to do it right even tho I did a lot of research before buyn a tank and the whole nine yards

You need to do water changes everyday with a cycle with fish in- and the stuff that supposedly clears up your water, I don't care what it's called, will generally only make things worse. Oscars are notoriously filthy fish lol. Do a few water changes and see if it helps any.

Is it white cloudy? It's probably a bacterial bloom which is normal in new tanks; it'll clear up eventually. Your larger issue is new fish in an uncycled tank. I'd start with a 50% water change with dechlorinator and then read these links:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

+1
Water changes are definitely in order here- daily or more often depending on your parameters. Do you have a decent liquid test kit for ammonia,nitrite,nitrate & ph? This will be a must have because your tank is not cycled yet. Do you have a good water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel Plus?

Was the liquid you added a purple pink color then it changed to yellow/brown after adding it? It was likely a potassium permagnate product such as Jungles Clear Water. Unfortunately, even if your tank had started the cycling process, adding this product would have nuked any good bacteria that had started to develop. So, you are on day one of the cycling process (once all of the product is removed from your tank). I would start with a 50% water change (temperature match & properly condition) now then do two more over the course of the day. Please read the links Librarygirl provided for you and ask any questions you may have!

Back
Top Bottom