need a new filter!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sblosser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so my Rena XP3 is about 10 years old now and i've replaced the motor in it twice gaskets 3 times. today one of the brackets had the plastic part that the bracket attaches to the base break off and its leaking pretty good at that corner now. it leaked about 3 gallons today. so, i dont want to spend more money on more parts for this filter as it is getting old. question i have is at the time i bought this it was pretty much top of the line for fresh water tanks. so heres some of the choices i was looking at. all have great reviews, all similar in price but what do you guys think the best filter is?

Eheim Classic External Canister Filter 2217

FilStar XP Canister Filter - L

Hagen Fluval 406 External Canister Filter

So let the debate begin!!!

Also i am thinking of taking my XP3 and setting it up in my utility room. the wall behind my tank is the utility room. has plenty of space to set up a large water storage container such as a 55 gallon trash can. was thinking of having 50 or so gallons of water being filtered and treated on hand for water changes. I could use the XP3 to filter this using nothing but ceramic bio rings. and simply silicon with GE1 the lid of the xp3 to the bucket to stop the leak.

If money isn't an issue for you I hear nothing but good things about eheim, but I have the fluval 406 on my 75 and it has done great things for me and its very simple and cheaper. I got mine for $130 or something on amazon new. Amazon will definitely be the way to go when you buy any of these though, in my experience LFS sell canisters for way more

Back
Top Bottom