Need a new light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to buy a new light for my 55gallon planted Aquarium. Looking for something med to high I have some money to play with what do you guy think

If you have like 100-110 I would suggest the oddyessa spelling? It is like 100 bucks and the bulbs are 6700k and 110 watts it works great for a Lott of peopl on fishlore, and I want it for Christmas

I have an AquaticLife 2 bulb T5HO fixture with Geiesmann bulbs on one of my 55g tanks and can grow pretty much everything. I just put a Build My LED fixture on the other 55g tank with the dimmer attachment and it is high light.

I kind of want something in the high light range so I don't have to buy a better one down the road

The oddysea T-5 HO quad will put you in the high light range. Your PAR at the substrate will be over 100. Check TopDogSellers, they are the best price I found.

You will have to run CO2 or use a high dose of liquid carbon if you go with high light. A 4 bulb T5HO will be very high on a 55g. The LED is more expensive but you can add a dimmer, it's high light, and over the long haul actually will end up costing less since you don't have to replace bulbs yearly.

Yes I run CO2 what kind of LED and will the plants grow under LED?

This is the fixture I have on 3 different size tanks now and all are high light. On a 55 if you go with the 75 degree beam angle it will give a slightly narrower beam of light which will make it brighter in the deeper tank. That is what I have. The color spectrum also brings out great color on both fish and plants, especially non green plants. I have one on a 12g Fluval Edge (deep tank), a 55g, and 1 as a supplemental light on my 100% planted 220g tank.

Freshwater Planted Tank - Build My LED, LLC

I grow over 40 different types of plants under these lights. Many of my stem plants are the more rare or uncommon plants as my 220g is a Dutch Style with hundereds of plants, mostly stem plants in it. I also use many of my rarer plants in the 55g and 12g with these lights.

Back
Top Bottom