Need a new skimmer.. choices? (hang on)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

Im having massive troubles on both my tanks with the operation of my protein skimmers. Within months of purchasing them they are inoperative, not creating any bubbles on one of the skimmers. The other making the loudest buzzing noise ive ever heard.

I'm now considering ordering two online from the U.S.

What are some good hang on skimmers out there?

If you check out my gallery and see my tank shots you can see the kind of skimmer I need.

Thanks for your time,

Matt

If you want a good reliable skimmer I would go with the Aqua C Remora and Remora Pro. This is a great skimmer and is extremely simple to use. It costs a little more than some of the competitors but I think it is well worth the price. I have had mine on my tank for over a year and it is great.

tripper

I have the AquaC Remora and I am not that impressed. It does skim fairly well. But the breaking process takes forever. Also, it is as loud as I have ever heard a skimmer be. In the alternative, I have heard great things about the Coralife Super skimmers. They are about the same price as the Remora and seem to skim as well. Although, I am not sure about the noise they make. Good luck.

depending on the tank size, look at CPR bak-paks. amekaaquatics.com sells factory seconds for $104.

For the 75g I would check out the CPR BAK PAK 2. I have had one for about 18 months on my 75g and it has done a great job. It is now working on my sump for the 90g and keeping up. Granted they are rated for 60g, but realistically when you take out the volume your LR displaces you probably do not have much more than 60g anyway. If you go this route make sure you get the rio pump vs. maxi jet IMO.

HTH,

I have a AquaC Remora Pro and love it. I also have the surface preskimmer for sale if you are interested.

The aquaC is the best choice. WHen you take into considerationthe required maintenence and up keepof all skimmers the remora out ranks them all. Clen ittwice a year and clenthe pump overy oother month and you are set! Most venturi skimmers need alot more up keepthen that to keepthe air flowing!!

There is a CPR BakPak knock off sold by I think Jebo. It looks exactly like the CPR product and sells for much less. I wouldn't think twice about getting one. You can check out aquatraders.com. I believe they carry them still. Same recycled plastic, with out the CPR sticker.

GL!

I've researched a little but am a little hesitant because I dont know if they will fit onto my current set up.

I've attached a pic i've thrown together.

The top of the tank is covered completely by my light hood and filtration system. In between them is probably a gap of 2-3cm.

On the right hand side of the tank is where both skimmers sit. The skimmer hooks onto the filtration box and the return water falls into 1 of the 4 compartments and returns back into the tank. The tube that connects to the pump and the skimmer neatly fits in the gap between the light hood and the filter box.

Out of the products everyone has mentioned which will kind of attach the same way?

If it helps the skimmers I currently have is the Jebo 180 Hang On Skimmer (theres a very minimal range here in oz)

Attachments

• tank_288.jpg
    tank_288.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom