Need advice - Changing Gravel to Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One way I have always preferred to add sand to a up and running tank is to use PVC (at least 1 1/2" because the sand will start to get stuck in smaller sizes) and pour it down it with the end just above the bottom of the tank. It keeps down the amount of sediment floating around.

Another way is to lower the water level to the height of a large Tupperware lid and angle it kinda like a ramp and slowly pour the sand over it. The less free fall through the water the clearer it will be when you are done. I've always left the fish in while doing it.

Last edited:
Malawi Freak said:
One way I have always preferred to add sand to a up and running tank is to use PVC (at least 2 1/2" because the sand will start to get stuck in smaller sizes) and pour it down it with the end just above the bottom of the tank. It keeps down the amount of sediment floating around.

Another way is to lower the water level to the height of a large Tupperware lid and angle it kinda like a ramp and slowly pour the sand over it. The less free fall through the water the clearer it will be when you are done. I've always left the fish in while doing it.

Thank you. I just happen to have some 2 1/2 PVC from an attempt to make a filter for water changes. If I can keep from removing the fish, I think it would be better for them, less stress. I'll probably remove 80% of the water and all of the decorations. Remove the gravel, and then slowly add the sand.

Don't wanna hijack but may I just ask a question? So fish in or out? I like the PVC idea also. So scooping out old substrate and adding the sand can be done with fish in?

Also you shut down all filtration and power heads?

Sorry OP...

Last edited:
Convict, in another thread you were talking about power heads. I was wondering if this would be a good idea for me? With a sand substrate, I'm scared about vacuuming it and pulling it all up. Will a PW help with not having to vacuum sand? And if so, will the korilla 550 be enough for my 55gal?

Crawdaddy said:
Convict, in another thread you were talking about power heads. I was wondering if this would be a good idea for me? With a sand substrate, I'm scared about vacuuming it and pulling it all up. Will a PW help with not having to vacuum sand? And if so, will the korilla 550 be enough for my 55gal?

If your looking to just keep debris from settling on your substrate I'd say a 550 would work for a 55g. It's rated at 4.5 watts and 550gph. BUT.....
I never go by that though. I always feel they are weaker. IMO you could use the 750 which is alos 4.5 watts but has a gph of 750, so your probably gonna get close to 650 with no issues. You can always re position it of it were to cause an issue but I really don't see that being the case.

There cheap too! BRS has them for like 40 bucks.

Convict2161 said:
If your looking to just keep debris from settling on your substrate I'd say a 550 would work for a 55g. It's rated at 4.5 watts and 550gph. BUT.....
I never go by that though. I always feel they are weaker. IMO you could use the 750 which is alos 4.5 watts but has a gph of 750, so your probably gonna get close to 650 with no issues. You can always re position it of it were to cause an issue but I really don't see that being the case.

There cheap too! BRS has them for like 40 bucks.

Right now Dr's F&S have it $33.09. I think I'll order one tomorrow. Thanks. I just wish they were smaller in size, the better to hide them.

Crawdaddy said:
Right now Dr's F&S have it $33.09. I think I'll order one tomorrow. Thanks. I just wish they were smaller in size, the better to hide them.

That's a awesome price. It really doesn't look a bad as you make think. Believe me I'm all about the natural look and hiding everything I can. But the PH doesn't look all that bad.

Convict2161 said:
That's a awesome price. It really doesn't look a bad as you make think. Believe me I'm all about the natural look and hiding everything I can. But the PH doesn't look all that bad.

Thanks. I want to do everything I can to help the health of my guys.

As convict knows, I will always vouch for a powerhead. The more powerful the better, but there is a such thing as too much. They do wonders with eliminating dead spots and really help with assisting getting a proper turnover rate with your filtration.

I'm currently moving over 2500 gph in my 125 right now.

Malawi Freak said:
As convict knows, I will always vouch for a powerhead. The more powerful the better, but there is a such thing as too much. They do wonders with eliminating dead spots and really help with assisting getting a proper turnover rate with your filtration.

Yup!! Malawi is the reason I added one. And I'm glad I did. It really does make a difference.

First piece of advice, vacuum the snot out of your gravel before removing.
When I washed my sand, I put half of it into a 5gal bucket, turned the water on, moved the hose up and down in the sand from bottom to top to loosen up the dust, and then hurried the hose in the bottom and let it run until it was clear. As we all know, the sand weighs enough that it stays in the bucket, and the light stuff floats out of the bucket. When I was done with the first bucket, I put the rest of the sand in another bucket and repeated the process. This way I didn't have to sit with it the whole time.
I tried using the PVC to put the sand in the tank, but it was making one heck of a mess, splashing the water that was still in the tank. I did leave the fish in during the process, and they seem none the worse for wear. I didn't want to try and move my featherfin catfish and risk getting his barbs caught in the net, so I left them in. One a surprised note, after pulling out all the decorations and half the water, I found 3 baby yellows swimming around. I didn't even know they were getting busy:). I moved hem to one of my other tanks hoping they don't become dinner. That's all for now, I'll keep the updates comming.

Well, for better or worse, it's done. Decor is in, and they all seem happy. It's going to take a little time for the water to clear up. The cloudiness is not from the sand, but from all the crap that embedded in the old gravel. When the water clears, I'll post some pics. I also replaced the old standard hoods with glass tops and a marine land LED light set. As I posted earlier, I ordered a PH that should come in this week, and will install it when it comes in. Since I have never used a PH I have a couple of questions:
1. How high up should it be placed?
2. What direction should it be aimed? The biggest reason I'm putting one in is to help keep the waste and sediment from sitting on the sand.
Thank you everyone for your help, advice, and experience.

The powerhead is more so trial and error because of your size tank and decor. Mine are all at the top of the water pushing down across the tank.

There were 3, but I can only find 2 right now. The tank I put them in has tiger and rosey barbs, hoping they have a chance of survival. The only other tank I could put them in is my Betta tank, and that would be a death sentence.

Back
Top Bottom