need advice, choosing canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, yes, any filter that is pre-seeded with cycled material won't see any spikes the majority of the time. Doesn't mater the make or type.

Eheims are like a Mercedes, designed to last a long time, but at a price. I've seen the way the Fluvals, Cascades, etc, are built, they are Fords & Chevys. Eheims are German engineering, designed to last. I've heard of quite a few 20 year old Eheims that are still running. Never heard of a 20 year old Fluval, etc.

As far as cycling goes, no media can prevent spikes when cycling. Eheim may claim this, they are wrong. Having a higher quality media may help to colonize bacteria a little faster, that is all it is going to do. It would be interesting to put some Eheim media in a different brand of canister to see what the result would be.

I think the initial cost only partially matters. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. The reliability is what sold me on Eheim canisters, I have several running. If I wake up to a dead or leaking filter, I usually don't have the option of going into work late. A large tank full of dime size angels means the fish sell for more than the Eheim costs. A tank with potential breeders means some tall future dollars.

I've heard about leakage problems with the Fluvals, Magnums are good for polishing that's about it & have poor media flexability, Cascades are a joke, really thin brittle plastic. Look at what you plan on using the filter for, and your individual situation before deciding.

Also, yes, any filter that is pre-seeded with cycled material won't see any spikes the majority of the time. Doesn't mater the make or type.

If I can find a quote on this board I agree with more I'll edit it in....really I will.It will have to be something like "beer is good" or "water is wet" ect.

A filter is a filter is a filter....choose em as you like,but not because it will help with the cycle.

Lonewolfblue said:

Acually it does - When I was using a Fluval I got spikes all the time during cycling - Seeded filter with religious water changes.

To say that all filters grow bacteria at the same rate is just not true. Different media grows bacteria at different rates, and some are better than others.

It would be great if you could put this media into other filters but the cost of the substrat is such that it's almost worth buying a new filter!!!

EDIT:
SkullJug said:
This is going to start agruments I know but Eheim are the only filters that can cycle a tank without any spikes at all.

I just read my original comment and really apologise - I am writing from workand really stuffed up the wording on this. So Ill try again. The Eheim can certainly cycle a tank without spikes (I have done this many times) but this depends on a lot of factors. I have used other filters that did not offer anywhere near that level of biological filtration but I certainly cannot say that Eheim is the only filter capable of this.

As you can see this is a debatable topic. No one is saying that the Eheim is an inferior filter. Everyone has a favorite filter and tends to stick with that line. My favorite canister is the Cascade. I am running three right now and have never had a problem with them. They are simple to setup, easy to maintain, and do not have a high price tag. Some people want to pay for the Eheim, but I am not one of them. I may be running the "Chevy of filters" but I prefer a Chevy over a Mercades any day.

Fishyfanatic said:
As you can see this is a debatable topic. No one is saying that the Eheim is an inferior filter. Everyone has a favorite filter and tends to stick with that line. My favorite canister is the Cascade. I am running three right now and have never had a problem with them. They are simple to setup, easy to maintain, and do not have a high price tag. Some people want to pay for the Eheim, but I am not one of them. I may be running the "Chevy of filters" but I prefer a Chevy over a Mercades any day.

You aren't kidding this is a debatable subject, along with dozens of other things concerning aquatics. :D

FYI, I drive a Ford F-150 right now, had a Chevy blazer before that, it's what works in the transportation department for me. Mercedes doesn't make a truck for a reasonable price that I can load beyond capacity & dispose of in several years.

If I got a killer deal on other canisters, I would use them, I have a 5 year old magnum that needs all new seals, the motor & impeller are still good. Free was a good price. It will get used, though not as the main filter.

I don't trust any filters 100%, Eheims included. That's why I use multiple filters of different types on all my tanks.

i am a big advocate of Fluval filters. I have the 404 and it does one hell of a job. My cascade... i have ZERO to say about. it is pretty terrible actually in my own opinion. I have no personal experience with an ehiem but i have heard GREAT things about them. But i will push the fluval.

Yes, it is a very debatable topic, I do agree. But the nice thing is you get to see what others say about particular filters, and then you can make your own decision on what to get. As for me, I'm a real big fan of the Filstars. I have both the XP2 and the XP3, and wouldn't trade them off for anything, not even an Eheim. I also have the Emperor 280 and 2 Emperor 400's. I feel the Eheim name is just over-rated, but that's just my opinion. But there is one thing in common between all of them, Cascade, Fluval, Filstar, and Eheim, they are all excellent filters, IMO. So my input is, you can't go wrong with any of them. It's like cars. A friend of mine has a BMW in his garage, but drives a Ford. Why buy something that they say is better engineered, if you aren't going to use it, and the Ford does just as good of job getting you from point A to point B, and costs you less? Me, I'm just a buyer if good deals, and if I can find a quality filter at a good price, I'll take it. And that's why I chose the XP's.

Back
Top Bottom