Need advice converting to sand??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandygvns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone!!
I currently have a 16 gal bow front tank and it has been fully cycled and in use for a year now....I am currently looking into converting it into a planted tank with sand...

Whats the best sand to get and how do you switch it without hurting the fish in there or loosing all the bacteria in the rocks??

Thanks so much for your help!!

Attachments

• 507097591_1785056558_0.jpg
    507097591_1785056558_0.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 76
When I changed mine out, I used pool filter sand that is pretty cheap, and not too light to get sucked up into your vacuum when cleaning.
I took all the fish out, put them in a bucket of tank water with an airstone and heater. I also put all the decor and media in the bucket to keep the bacteria wet. Then I drained the tank and scooped the gravel out with a big kitchen spoon. When that was all out, I rinsed my sand really really well, (no particles) and put it in the tank, filled it about halfway with chlorinated water, then put the dechlorinator in, and filled it the rest of the way with dechlorinated water. Turn the filter back on.
When the water was clear, and the same temp as the bucket, I netted the fish out and put them back in the tank along with all the decorations and filter media. :)

I did almost the same thing but I already had a lot of plants in my 55. I got a rubbermade container and moved moved about 1/2 the water of the tank over to the rubbermade. I then moved all my plants over to help with catching the fish. Before starting the catching I moved my filter (have a canister) over to the rubbermade as well. Then I caught the fish and added more water to the rubbermade until all the fish were moved and a good bit of the water.

After this I just moved my 55 out into the yard (with help), got all the gravel out and started cleaning the sand. Now I used play sand, not pool filter sand, but I think I would use the other next time based on what people said. I did spend like 3+ hours cleaning my sand so didn't have too much trouble with clouding, but did make sure I had a pre-filter on my canister before starting.

Anyway, once the sand was in I moved water back from the rubbermade into the tank until I had enought to move the plants and fish.

Everything went really well for me. I was checking the parameters twice a day for a week and then once a day for another week and never had a mini cycle that I was worried might happen. I'm guessing that is because I used mostly the same water and the same filter.

Looks great, would never go back to gravel! Good luck!

Good advice above! The main thing to remember is to keep your filter media wet. That should prevent a mini cycle. If you are worried you could put a handful of gravel in a piece of nylon stockings and put it in the tank for a bit...to help seed the sand. Honestly though, you should have enough in the filter media and the decorations (keep them wet too).

Going to planted is easy because you will be offsetting your bacterial biological filter with plants. So even though you lose some of your biological filtration you make up for it with live plants that will consume the ammonia.

I would not recommend filling the tank with tap water that has not been dechlorinated, as that will kill beneficial bacteria on the walls of the tank. I would prep your sand (I also recommend pool filter sand) the day before as it takes a LONG time to properly wash all of the finer particles that cloud the water. Work until you think it's clear, then work another 10 minutes, trust me.... :) Now put the sand aside until the next day and rest.

You want to have your plants purchased and ready to go on transfer day. Get a clean rubbermaid container and transfer over water from the tank (I would just do a gravel vac, but instead of doing what you normally do pull the water from the top since you don't want any detritus in the holding tank). Put your filter and heater from the tank into the rubbermaid container. Now you have a temporary tank that is just as good as a normal tank. Only after all of that has been done should you remove the decor from the tank and carefully transfer the fish (makes it much easier to do when all decor is out). Keep the container covered to prevent stress to the fish. Since you have a properly heated and filtered tank you can take your time and not have to worry about harming the fish/filter.

Get a bucket of tap water and add your dechlorinator. Remove the remaining water in the tank and gravel (be careful not to scratch the glass). There should be nothing left in the tank. Now add 1/2 the bucket of water, swirl around, and dump so any leftover particles and detritus can be removed. You should now have a perfectly clean tank but *WITH* bacteria on the surfaces that you want to keep alive.

You can do one more quick wash of the sand if you want, otherwise carefully dump it in (it's easier if you add it in when it's almost dry). Now add dechlor for the total tank volume and refill the tank to ~75% (you want some room to work while adding in plants/decor). Scape the sand how you want (a lot of people like the back to be higher than the front, but I find within a week or two the sand evens out anyways so I just do mine level).

Depending on how much you trust your new live plants (I don't) you can either add them in directly or first perform a tap water soak or bleach/hydrogen peroxide dip. This will kill the beneficial bacteria on the plants but also any potential parasites/algae along for the ride. Now do your planting.

When you're all done and happy with the look depending on how cloudy the water is you may want to do a large water change.

When everything is finished transfer the filter and heater from the container back into the tank and make sure everything is working. When you're sure it's OK now move the fish back into their new home. I'd keep the tank lights off for the day and not feed to reduce stress on the fish and filter.

HTH

^Wow thanks everyone you make me less nervous about the process, Ill keep a log and picture journal when i start, were moving into a new house so I figure while I have the water out I can change the gravel all at once!! Thanks so much for all of your help and such great detail in the process!!

ill let you know how it goes, and deff going to use pool sand for the tank anyone have pictures of there tanks with the pool sand?? Anyone like a specific brand?? How is it to clean after settled with a vacuum?

pfs is super easy to clean... i have it in all of my tanks. Here is a pic of my 150g with pfs in it, and one of my 55g i had with pfs
img_1089548_0_b03ccc0616af1dea8af2202c025fb066.jpg

Last edited:
Okay the conversion is done, I was wondering I have these crytals that take ammonia out of the water and you put them in a bag in the water, should I do that to prevent an ammonia spike from all the change?

I don't think it is needed. Just test the water like 2x's a day to be sure everything is fine. If you are seeing a big spike then you may want to. I don't know about those crystals, are they made for aquariums?

I wouldn't add the crystals. You want the ammonia to spike, but if you monitor it, you can keep up on changing the water as needed. Keep the ammonia down to .25 or less so your fish don't get ammonia burned.

Yeah the crystals are for aquariums they are from marineland, called white diamond amonia nuetralizing crystals you place them in a mesh bag and set them in the tank.

So far the levels havent changed at all, but ill check them again in 24hours!
Thanks for the help

Heres a compelte pic of the tank with the fish as of this morning, they are doing so well and really like the sand!

Sorry about the pic, I took it from my webcam other camera is broken =(

Attachments

• Snapshot_20100411.jpg
    Snapshot_20100411.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 52
I have been thinking and I really don't think the crystals should be added. If there is amonia from a mini cycle then you will just be adding the right kind of bacteria in the sand now and if you add the crystals then you may prolong this even longer.

If there is any amonia just do PWCs until it is under control.

Did my sand conversion yesterday. All went well!
I only have a 17 gallon tank so it was sufficient to have the majority of tank water + fish & decorations in three buckets while I removed the old gravel and put the sand in, then poured the water (and the fish!) back in and topped off with a fresh bucket.

However I'm aware that I've just taken out a good chuck of bacteria and while the filter will keep the worst of the ammonia build up out of the way, it may at the moment be slightly under capacity as the bacteria grows. So I think I'll do a couple of PWC's through the week until returning to the normal weekly cycle at the weekend.

However I'm aware that I've just taken out a good chuck of bacteria and while the filter will keep the worst of the ammonia build up out of the way, it may at the moment be slightly under capacity as the bacteria grows. So I think I'll do a couple of PWC's through the week until returning to the normal weekly cycle at the weekend.

Unless you have fry don't feed for a day or two. Easiest way to lower the bioload temporarily is to not feed. The fish won't mind and there is less risk of a mini-cycle which they WILL mind.

mandygvns,
Your tank is so crystal clear I was sure you had mistakenly posted a pic with no water in it! Congrats. Looks like you did a great job at the conversion.

^^ Thank you so much, I was really happy with how well everything went! Like I said it was a little cloudy when I added the fish and I was so glad when I woke up to a crystal clear tank!! I cant wait to covert to a planted tank next but Im still trying to figure out light options so I can keep them alive!

^^ Thank you so much, I was really happy with how well everything went! Like I said it was a little cloudy when I added the fish and I was so glad when I woke up to a crystal clear tank!! I cant wait to covert to a planted tank next but Im still trying to figure out light options so I can keep them alive!

tbh lights were one of the reasons I converted to sand. I'd always used a single 7W ordinary energy saving household bulb. But I thought I'd try putting in the two 15W daylight bulbs that came with the tank. Within a couple of days everything had started to get covered in a brown gunk, including the gravel, which I assume was because of the lighting. So I've gone back to the old bulb now.

The gravel couldn't be cleaned, so I switched to sand which is what I've been wanting to do for ages!

Well Im glad you got the tank sorted out, I hate when unexpected crap happends with the tank......
Lighting seems to be the trickiest thing for me, what its coming down to is that I need a new fixture/hood to hold in a higher amount of wattage for plants to stay alive, this is going to be expensive...... =(

Back
Top Bottom