Need Advice For Female Betta Sorority Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

addisonnolann

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

It has been a while since I’ve posted here, but I need a little bit of advice. I am a senior in college (gearing up for veterinary school), and I was doing research with female betta fish this semester. I was told I either keep the fish, or they’ll get killed. Obviously, I opted to take the fish. My boyfriend went out and purchased a 30 gallon aquarium and I’ve had it set up and cycling for around 7 weeks.

For reference, I’ve had fish tanks my whole life and am confident in my abilities to keep the tank healthy, but I’ve never done a sorority. That being said, there are 8 female betta and I’m unable to have the many individual tanks. I have an API test kit and the BB have caught up and the tank is running like a machine, so I’m adding the fish tomorrow. I’d love some advice from the fish experts on here. The tank has plenty of coverage and hiding spots. Water temps are sitting between 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Long story short, I’d love some basic advice on keeps all of my ladies happy. They’re all red (was necessary for the specific experiment we were doing) and about the same size. They’ve been in tanks next to each other so they’ve seen each other, and they came from the same distributor.

Finally, I plan on adding about 8/9 corydoras once everyone is adjusted. If everything goes well (and fingers crossed it does), is there anything else I could add? This tank will be a centerpiece in my house and I’d love to make it pop.

Thank you in advance.

Secondary question, would striped Kuhli loaches be suitable? If yes, could I do them as well as the corys?

I’ve had success with sororities, and I think a big factor is adding a lot of plants/ decorations. If the fish can claim a territory in the tank, it’ll make them feel more safe. Watch out for bullies (and on the contrary, fish being bullied) and be ready to separate the individual if that happens. Good luck!

Edit: corys would work, kuhli loaches would work but I’ve never kept the two together, so I can’t give you a definite answer on that

Back
Top Bottom