Need Advice on new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMedina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys

I was recently researching on how to properly setup a saltwater tank. i visit a couple of shops and stores and they all tell me kind of different things. I know that with saltwater you cannot rush thing. I was thinking of making a reef tank, here are the dimensions: 30-3/16"L x 12-1/2"W x 18-3/4"H. I was planning on buying a 70g filter since the tank i have is a 29-30 gallon. What lighting should i use LEDs ? About the water changes weekly i don't mind. I'm also wanna do the cycle properly, i'm new to this hobby and eager to learn about anything you guys tell me.

Thanks for helping me guys

Ok, here are the list of thing i would be buying in the next week for my first SW Tank, if there are better thing or thing that i missed please tell me. thanks

1. 29g Tank (30-3/16"L x 12-1/2"W x 18-3/4"H)
2. Fluval AquaClear Power Filter
3. 2 or 1 Hydor Koralia Nano 425
4. Live sand
5. Mix salt
6. Digital Thermostat

Last edited:
For lighting there are too many options to list and they are kind of a personal taste. For other things you will need are power heads, heater, skimmer is optional but nice to have, for the hob filter I would get either the aqua clear 70 or 110 they are big and there are lots of mods for them, check out inTank media baskets to see what I mean.
Edit: for the cycle the best way is to use live rock and add an ammonia source and wait it out

I already got a heater, and as for hob filter i was considering the aquaclear 70 and the marineland emp 400. Does protein skimmer are necessary? Because i read somewhere that if i put a skimmer i don't need hob filter. But i dont mind the weekly water change so for now u was thinking on buying later. As power heads what would you recommend me

No the skimmer isn't necessary bit they're nice to have. I would go with the aqua clear filter because they are easy to mod and many options for different mods. For power heads I would say two korilia nano 425's should work

Where should i put them, 1 close to the surface and the other deep down ? im new to this hobby and i want to do everything right :) thank you

I place them on opposite walls of the tank and aim them at each other to produce a more random flow pattern in the tank. The most important thing is that you don't have any dead spots in the tank

Thanks BigRedsReefs10, also should i buy a test master kit or should i go to the store and let them check my lvls ? i want to get all things ready before i start the cycle. do i need anything else ?

Ro/di water , rock ( either live or base), and sand but don't buy the live sand in a bag it's just wet sand not really live a regular aragonite reef sand that's not super fine
Edit: pick up a reef salt and for the cycle you can just have a lfs test the water if that's easier but once you start adding corals you'll want nitrate , phosphate , calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium tests ( api's are not good for these)

Thanks going to start buying some stuff this week and the sand and water when everything is setup

If i were you id think about what you would like to keep first. Make your decision and build your tank for that. Do you want to keep tangs happy? You need a 100 plus gallon tank. Sps coral? Youll need more expensive lighting. Most sucessful tanks are built for the inhabitants. Not the inhabitants are put into the tank i have. Think of it this way. If a young couple got married and they both wanted a large family. Five kids. They shouldnt buy a 2 bedroom house. Or if they didnt care for a hot climate they shouldnt buy a house in florida. They could start with a two bedroom and buy new as the family grows but you can see how expensive and much more work it would be to upgrade with each new addition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice peter, i just want to put some clowns in theres and some other fish. And i was thinking on buying a new tank since I'm going to start i may be starting with a couple of new toys, i might be buying a 40 breeder or maybe 55g. Then again i have to buy the tank first and then get all the equipment. Also can i put a pair if clowns in a 10g and then move then to my new setup when it done?

Thanks guys for yours response and advices. As i keep doing research and buying things i will be updating this post constantly.

2clowns in a 55 great. 2 clowns in a 10 i would say no way. Clown fish are somewhat agressive and if you 2 clowns dont get along st first there id nowhere for them really to go. In a 55 at least they could have their own space at first. If i were you figure out the tank you want you want. The google"saltwater fish for 40 gallon" you will be suprised how limited you are. And the number of fish that can go in the tank. I went through this already. Bought my tank researched everything about chemistry,water conditions etc. Cycled my tank. Fishless. Went out bought 15 fish. All maybe 1-2 inch. Placed them all in my 55 gallon. All was great for the first 3 months. Then they started to grow. They got super aggressive. There wasnt enough space for each. Nitrates were constantly a problem. Constant water changes were a pain. Cleaning the tank etc.was ready to give up. But the i made the decision to take out 10 of the fifteen. God best thing i ever did. Maintaince went to almost nothing. Water changes once a month. Aggression went to almost nill. Now i enjoy my tank. Not work for it. Having a thriving fish tank is one of the most enjoyable things to look at. Having a tank that isnt stable, and no matter what you do something is alway out of wack is one of the most stressful. This should be an enjoyable hobby. When your happy with your tank your fish will show it. I love coming home now to sit on the sofa and watch my fish. Not worry about if the water par. Are right. Is ph ok? Etc. I know they are. Now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom