Need Advice on tank filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clintonguppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 tanks. I use sub filters on all 3. They work really great for me. I customized my insides. I cut the the stock sponge inside half, and the cut a small chunk of both halwes. In the middel i put filter wool on both sides with amonia remover pebbles between the wool. Two of my filters have cartidges wich i fill with activated carbon pellets. I clean my filters once a week in water from my tank i get from water changes. When cleaning the filters i replace the amonia rocks and carbon each time. Is it necesary? I mean each week? Or can i do every second week? And is my filter media setup ok? The one without the carbon cartridge i just put carbon mixed with the amonia remover. Any thoughts or advice?

I admire your diligence maintaining your filters, but I believe you can slow down a bit. Always do your weekly water change on each tank. Consider only cleaning one tanks filter a week. That means each filter gets cleaned once every three weeks. I believe your filter media will hold up fine during that span of time and your bacterial bed will probably flourish.
I hope this helps.

Hmm thank you i will consider it. 3 weeks feels so long though. They keep my water nice and clean. Except in my smallest tank. My lighting was to strong and massive algea growth. Beginner mistake[emoji102] but luckilly that was sorted out

No worries at three weeks. I have two AQ 110's running on My display tank. It filters a massive bio load. I have at least 35 fish, several of them are large cichids, and have no
Problems with water quality. I alternate cleaning the filters every other week. So in my case cleanings are once every 2 weeks.
Once I made the mistake of cleaning both filters at the same time and ended up with a mini cycle. No fish loss, but several days of intense tank maintenance. I'm surprised cleaning your filters weekly hasn't done the same. With your use of ammonia nuetralizing filter material and assuming your bio load is normal, "not overloaded like mine" three weeks beween filter cleanings is not unreasonable. Good luck.

I currently have about a 27 litre with about 12 guppies(males) and two black neons and a pleco. My filter goes 300 l/h

Back
Top Bottom