Need advice/suggestions on my fuge.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R33F FeTiSh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29g biocube with a fuge in chamber 2. I had a lot of cheato back there and suddenly it started withering away. Then it started coming back and has stayed about the size of a soft ball. I bought 2 mangroves and have them suspended in ch. 2 with Styrofoam. I was thinking of putting a Micron filter filled with macro mud around them. Good idea or epic fail? Next question...should I lose the cheato all together and get 3 or 4 more mangroves instead? I read they really eat up the nitrates and phosphate.

The chaeto works better than the mangroves. The likely reason for it withering is that your lighting is insufficient. What are you using for lighting- what is the color temp, wattage and photo period?
You should get a 5600K cfl and run it around 9-10 hrs per day, preferably at night.

I'm using a 8000k cfl now. Just set it up. I was using nanoglows. I keep the nanos on all the time. The cfl is on 8 hours.

How long have you been using the cfl? Can you get a 5600K instead. Dont forget that plants need a dark period as well as light. Constant light can be detrimental to growth.

Only a few days. I just fixed it. I was using the nano glow for a year or so. I will try and find one at my lfs tomorrow. And no, I didn't know they needed darkness. I thought cheato was like a weed. Virtually impossible to kill. I proved that wrong. Is there a particular brand I should look for?

Back
Top Bottom