Need an algae eater for 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have SA tank with: albino tiger, JD (small), parrot, chocolate, geo, gold Severum, and a fire head. I have had two plecos that did not fair well. The second one was quite large, but I think the stress got to them.
Any ideas on an algae eater for this set up?It's really blooming now.

Thanks

If your having too much algae your nitrates could be high I have a 75 with 4 convicts a JD a blood parrot and a red jewel im currently using a rainbow shark for grazing on algae but idk how long hell last once the cichlids get bigger

We should find out why your having an algae issue first. Adding certain fish to help with the issue will only mask it.

Light schedule? Feeding, how often? Water parameters including phosphates?

Are you using tap water and if so have you tested your tap for nitrates etc?

Is the tank near a window?

What is your water changing schedule like, how much and how often?

Usually algae presents itself when there is an abundance of nutrients.

Can you post a FTS?

Tank is near a window and I have the lights on a timer for 12hrs. Nitrates are about 20ppm and I feed once a day. PWC weekly. I think your right about the light, I hadn't really thought about it because it wasn't a problem before but for some reason the algae is really taking off now.

I'd drop the lights down a few hours and see if it helps.

If no plants,lights are you to view the fish. My lights go on at 3:30pm around the time I'm coming home and they off at 9:00pm. Of course if I have company I'll keep them on longer so people can view the tank.

Well 330-9 is only 5 and a half hours

Yea, I leave my house at 5am and get home at 3:30pm so... The natural light is good for them until the tank lights kick on. And I'm getting old lol so once my son is asleep it's off to the bedroom so... The lights don't have to be on that long. Just long enough for me to enjoy them while everyone is in the living area.

Remember the fish really don't need lights.

I keep my lights on in my cichlid tank for 12 hours because i want to grow algae. My mbuna love to graise on it. Its definately your light schedule thats making it flourish. It is probably a combo of lighting and nutrients.

I keep my lights on in my cichlid tank for 12 hours because i want to grow algae. My mbuna love to graise on it. Its definately your light schedule thats making it flourish. It is probably a combo of lighting and nutrients.

I hear ya. I have plants but I agree that 12 hrs is too long. These cichlids are tearing up these plants anyway and the only ones they don't mess with are the Anubias and they def don't need 12 hrs of tank light on top o the natural light. It's like we kinda know the answers to our own questions but we need each other to confirm.....sometimes. Other times I haven't a clue.

Back
Top Bottom